Unanswered: Any way to find out hostname, IP address and port number offline

I am not able to connect to Sybase ASE 15.5 installed on Win XP. It was working for a week without any issues. I restarted my laptop for windows update and found that i am not able to login anymore.

Facing problems ever since, i am trying to get the hostname, IP address and the port number details offline.

Can anyone help me fix the issue, please this is urgent. Got an interview scheduled for me soon.

FYI : i am not able to manually start any of the 5 services either!!

Thanks
    Pramod

Provided Answers: 4
    What does the errorlog say?
    Is the ip-adress in the sql.ini-file still correct? Your laptop might have gotten a different adress due to DHCP.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

hi Martin

I reviewed the sql.ini file and didn't find any ip-address inside

[PRAVASUD_XP]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5003
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5003

[PRAVASUD]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5000
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5000

[PRAVASUD_BS]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5001
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5001

[PRAVASUD_MS]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5002
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5002

[PRAVASUD_JSAGENT]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,4900
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,4900

[ws]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,8186
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,8186

This is whats inside the file.

Can you tell me where is the errorlog found. Dont see anything inside log directory.

Thanks
    Pramod

[PRAVASUD]
    master=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5000
    query=NLWNSCK,PRAVASUD,5000

[PRAVASUD] means you have a server called 'pravasud' defined. PRAVASUD,5000 means that server is being looked for on a machine called pravasud at port number 5000. Is your laptop called pravasud, i.e. if you ping pravasud, do you get a response?
    If you're not sure, try to substitute pravasud,5000 with the ip-adress of your laptop.

As far as the errorlog goes, on ASE 12.5 it's located at %SYBASE%\ASE-12_5\install\. There should be a similar path for ASE15.5.

Hi Martin

D:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\install\PRAVASUD.log file is located in this path.

I am able to ping PRAVASUD and it returns my ip address. Well ideally we do have a dyanmic ip address mapping in my office, so is that the reason why i cant connect to Sybase Central and isql?

Regards,
    Pramod

A hostname would be sufficient, and a good way to handle dynamic ipadresses. Your sql.ini-file seems to be fine.

I'd suggest looking through the errorlog (probably pravasud.log in your case) to find out if there are any leads to why the server won't start properly.

hi

Will Check the log file, am not sure i know what to search for?

Thanks
    Pramod

Errors, warnings, stuff like that. If those are present in the logfile, that's not good, obviously.
    And if a server doesn't start correctly the logfile is the first place to look, right?

I am still not able to troubleshoot the issue. Not sure where to start even in the log file. I am new to Sybase ASE 15.5, was very proficient with trouble shooting issues with Sybase ASE 8.0.

Let me take time to figure this out.

Thanks for your heads up, Martin

Pramod

You can delete/move the current errorlog and try to start the ASE-server. A new errorlog will be made with only information from that last attempt to start the server. Anything in it that says error or warning might be worth investigating.

If the errorlog doesnt say anything strange, or says the server has started succesfully, prepare for more in depth troubleshooting. But let's not worry about that yet .

Good luck, let me know how it went!