Unanswered: unbound form w/subform

my database is used for asset tracking. pretty much what users are assigned to what equipment. I have a unbound form that contains a listbox which populates all the fields using VBA

on that same form i want to put in a subform that points to my users table to supply information about the user

when i try to setup the master and child link in the subform i am getting the error "cannot build a link between unbound forms.

problem is I am not quite sure how to link the computer selected in the list box to the subform which contains the assigned user's information

Provided Answers: 6
    As the error implies, you can't have master/child links with an unbound form. You could do something like this in the after update event of the listbox:

Me!SubformControlName.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT...WHERE UserID = " & Me.ListboxName
    Last edited by pbaldy; 05-06-10 at 14:44.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mike.burns7 View Post
    my database is used for asset tracking. pretty much what users are assigned to what equipment. I have a unbound form that contains a listbox which populates all the fields using VBA

on that same form i want to put in a subform that points to my users table to supply information about the user

when i try to setup the master and child link in the subform i am getting the error "cannot build a link between unbound forms.

problem is I am not quite sure how to link the computer selected in the list box to the subform which contains the assigned user's information
    I assume you are trying to use the wizard/builder (click the "..." button). This only wiorks with bound forms.

You will have to manually type in the references to the list box for the master linking field. You will also mave to manually enter the child linking property.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Provided Answers: 6
    Learn something new every day. I didn't realize you could do master/child linking with an unbound form.
    Paul

Works perfectly
    Thanks for the help!