Unanswered: MS Access for small business

Hello,
    Im new to this forum and I feel its fantastic.

I run a small metal trading firm and am familiar with ms access. I was wondering if it would help my business to build a database and on access. I have learnt how to build these but am not sure about its feasibility. Could some one please advise me?

Quote Originally Posted by janirudh View Post
    Hello,
    Im new to this forum and I feel its fantastic.

I run a small metal trading firm and am familiar with ms access. I was wondering if it would help my business to build a database and on access. I have learnt how to build these but am not sure about its feasibility. Could some one please advise me?
    It will be very difficult for anyone to give you any specific advice for your business without a needs analyzes being performed.

In general:

If you have database needs that fit Access strengths and weaknesses then it may be a good fit.

If you are have a strong Accounting background then you should be able to create a simple accounting system without inventory control or a general ledger. Inventory control is one of the most difficult things to do.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

If it is better than your current system, then yes, give it a go. The downside is the amount of time needed to create a database and the danger of being distracted your the business needs.

Simon

Designing Access Databases

Designing a database can be a can of worms. Even small businesses are never as simple as one might imagine.

I am currently working on a methodology to build small business systems in such a manner that they can be easily modified. Essentially, there is a core module which describes all real-world entities (companies, people, addresses, communications channels and so forth) and provides all necessary editing and maintenance facilities. To this, one can attach modules for ordering, sales, inventory management or whatever you like. The interesting thing is that each of these is a totally self-contained database, with links only to the core module (so that it all makes sense!). However, a front-of-house database may contain links to all of the available modules. The general concept is to have the FOH customer-facing viewing whatever it needs to, while the other modules are independent back-of-house departments, so to speak. Each module can therefore be developed and modified independently.
    I discussed this in a contribution to a thread on another forum (my user name there is jim_from_oz). The link is:

Database Architecture - Handling Data for Different Customer Needs - DevX.com Forums

If you like to go there, one of my posts has a relationship diagram and a set of notes in it which you might find useful.

Jim.