Unanswered: GUI Menu to open seperate databases...

I am using Access 2003.

I work in the HR department with some folks who aren't exactly Computer literate... so I've created several access databases with Forms based GUI interfaces for each.

At the current time, they have to find the right database and open it, but that is the only thing that "looks" like an access database, everything else looks and feels like a tight little program.

Now, to make the whole "software suite" look better, I'm trying to create one GUI interface which opens the correct database.

I tried doing this in a generic Access database, by creating a form with several buttons, but I can't make an access button open another access database.

Next I tried making a quick web page, with links to open the specific database, it acts as though it is going to open the database, but then nothing happens. When I check my Task Manager, I see an "MSACCES.exe" process opens up, the program never actually launches.

I also tried creating a "page" in a generic database, and the same thing happens.

I've searched other forums, and have found nothing on this topic. I'm begining to think this isn't even possible.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Provided Answers: 6
    You should be able to use Shell or FollowHyperlink to open a different db. More info on both in VBA help.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Franqlyn View Post

Now, to make the whole "software suite" look better, I'm trying to create one GUI interface which opens the correct database.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    If you really want one GUI interface then why not merge all the databases into a single front end. Hopefully even a single back end if not already shared.

That would truly create one GUI interface, which is what you are after.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Provided Answers: 14
    If, for any reason I do not imagine, you cannot merge the different F-E databases into a single one, you can use Automation to launch several instances of Access with the desired Front-End.

In the following example (MultiAccess.mdb), the table Tbl_Launcher contains the path to several F-E databases that can be launched from the Frm_Launcher form. Each F-E is stored with its full path or using a shorcut notation: ".\xxx.mdb", where ".\" stands for the full path of MultiAccess.mdb.

Unzip the four databases into a single folder and start MultiAccess.mdb to see it at work.

Note that the laucher could be written in another language than Access (VB, C#, etc.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Note that the laucher could be written in another language than Access (VB, C#, etc.)
    I think this option needs a little more love. Once you're getting to the point where you're writing arbitrarily complex VBA in Access to transform Access from an RDBMS platform in to execution shell, you're talking about little if any additional effort required (barring the installation of the dev environment) to write the utility in a more generic environment with far fewer caveats.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***