Unanswered: Experience with Business Intelligence Systems, Data Mining, etc

Hi,

We have a system that typically aggregates the time series data from our DB2 database into larger intervals ( 15min, 30min, 1 Hour, 1 Day, etc). We also let our end users view the data at different levels as well.. for example --

Level 1 user -- can aggregate / view data from item1, item2, item3, item4 for a certain time range

Level 2 user -- can aggregate / view data from item1, item2, item3 for a certain time range

Level 3 user -- can aggregate / view data from item1, item2 for a certain time range

Level 4 user -- can aggregate / view data from item1 for a certain time range

Since we are simply checking levels and sending back summed up data based on level selected, I was wondering if anyone has experience using any BI systems to implement something like this? Currently, we are writing a bunch of stored procedures / functions that check the level and send back the necessary data...would you recommend using a third party tool to achieve this ( provided there is one out there that will achieve this) or would you stick to writing the sprocs on your own and then having the app call them?

Any thoughts will be appreciated! Thanks!

Just came across OLAP functions.. do you think this might give me what I'm looking for?

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/da.../0110lyle.html