Question Unanswered: Linked tables vs ADP

Hello,

I am creating an Access based client/server application where the front-end is Access 2003 and the backend is SQL Server 2000. I am trying to determine whether to create the application using an Access Data Project (ADP) or use Linked Tables using a front-end MDB file.

Originally the people who are sponsoring the development of this application wanted to use ADP as the felt it was a more secure solution. While I do agree that having all data (tables, views, stored procedures) stored within SQL Server is a good idea, I am wondering if linked tables with a locked down MDE might be better than an ADP/ADE solution.

One of my concerns is that ADP seems to be deprecated by Microsoft. Even though I am using an older version of Access (2003) I am wondering if it might be better to follow Microsoft's current guidelines of using linked tables.

Any insight or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by duser View Post
    Hello,

I am creating an Access based client/server application where the front-end is Access 2003 and the backend is SQL Server 2000. I am trying to determine whether to create the application using an Access Data Project (ADP) or use Linked Tables using a front-end MDB file.

Originally the people who are sponsoring the development of this application wanted to use ADP as the felt it was a more secure solution. While I do agree that having all data (tables, views, stored procedures) stored within SQL Server is a good idea, I am wondering if linked tables with a locked down MDE might be better than an ADP/ADE solution.

One of my concerns is that ADP seems to be deprecated by Microsoft. Even though I am using an older version of Access (2003) I am wondering if it might be better to follow Microsoft's current guidelines of using linked tables.

Any insight or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
    I like to use MDEs.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11