Unanswered: Can we use a signature pad to sign Access reports and/or forms?

Hello. I've been spending the last few months developing a database to keep track of our employee recruitment. I took an introductory course before getting started and have been learning a lot as I go, but I still consider myself quite the novice.

On one of my forms, I have a button that generates a report for the particular record the form is filtered to. The report is actually a set of employment forms which generate with all of the fields allready filled-in with the biographical information for the employee. There are several legally-binding acknowledgements and other forms which need to be signed. The original idea was we would just print the packet of forms out and have the employee sign on all of the sections that require signatures. We were thinking it might be even better to just go completely paperless. If we bought one of those signature pads, is there a way we could have the employee sign there once and then that signature would automatically go into all of the signature fields in the report? If we could do that, than perhaps we'd just have to save the report as a PDF.

I watched a demo of a signature pad with software for Adobe which is legally secure and everything, but it requires you to choose where you want to place the signature on the form, unless you have a saved form you use every time. In my case, since I'm generating the report with the fields already-filled in, it wouldn't work for me unless I chose where to drop the signature every single time and in our particular situation that wouldn't work because we will be processing 500-600 employees in a matter of a few weeks and we really need things more streamlined than that.

My questions are:

Is such a thing possible using MS Access (2007), and if it is, how could we save the forms in a way that kept the integrity of the signature? For example, converting them to PDFs or whatnot?

I know the questions about the legality are more lawyer questions than programming questions, but I figured I'd throw them out there too just in case someone happens to know.

Thanks so much for your tiime. I hope I'm not being too wordy.

The kind of pad of been looking at is from Topaz. Has anyone ever used these?

Provided Answers: 6
    I've got a couple of them in use. The signature is basically just a field of data. You can display it anywhere you want, using an ActiveX control they provide. They have a sample db on their website that I found very helpful.
    Paul

Thanks so much for your response. I think I'm going to order one signature pad and play with it a little to see how it works out. I guess we'll also have to check with our lawyer to make sure that it's all just as legal as a regular paper signature.

Okay, so I put the SigPlus Active X control where I want the signature to go on the report. I put the SigSign Active X control on the report. I made a "sign" button. How can I program the button so that it will put the signature where the "SigPlus" Active X control is once I have signed. Now it pops up a box and I can sign in the box, but at that point the signature window freezes. What would be the next step? This is what I have:

Private Sub Command100_Click()
    Dim DataString As String

SigPlus1.ClearTablet
    SigPlus1.EncryptionMode = 0
    SigPlus1.SigCompressionMode = 0
    SigPlus1.TabletState = 0
    SigPlus1.JustifyMode = 5
    SigPlus1.JustifyX = 10
    SigPlus1.JustifyY = 10
    SigPlus1.DisplayPenWidth = 12

SigSign1.Title1 = ""
    SigSign1.Title2 = "Please Sign on the Signature Capture Tablet."
    SigSign1.WindowTitle = "Signature Capture Window"

If SigSign1.GetSignature = True Then
    SigPlus1.SigString = SigSign1.SigString
    SigPlus1.SigCompressionMode = 0
    SigPlus1.EncryptionMode = 0

SigPlus1.AutoKeyFinish
    SigPlus1.EncryptionMode = 2

SigPlus1.SigCompressionMode = 1

Signature.Value = SigPlus1.SigString

End If

End Sub

Also, pressing "accept" doesn't do anything on the signature capture box unless I click somewhere out of Access and then come back again, at which point it will allow me to "accept."

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Glühbirne; 05-26-10 at 20:34.

I'm not at work right now where I have the working application, but did you find the sample db on their website? I found it very helpful.
    Paul

Yes, that's where I got that code.

The code that they had made it go and focus on all the fields. I don't need it to do that on my report (or do I?) so I deleted that part.

In looking at my code, I noticed this line right before the ClearTablet line:

MsgBox "Invoice #: " & Me.txtInvoiceNum ' this should not be necessary, but avoids a lock up when command button executed with Enter rather than click

I recall now going over this with them, and they couldn't figure it out either. I even sent them a sample db. Try putting in a message box there and see if it helps.
    Paul