Unanswered: Issue with dataentry in the datasheet

Hello Gurus,

We got a requirement to enhance the existing Access DB.
    1. Add new table (ABC).
    2. Create a form in datasheet view by pulling all the fields from new table (ABC) and 2 fields from existing table (123).
    3. If I create the form in datasheet view JUST by pulling all the fields from new table (ABC), then I am able to edit the fields and it is saving back to the table ABC.
    4. But, when I am trying to pull the fields from both the tables ABC and 123, then all the fields are becoming read-only. I cannot add data into any of the fields inside the datasheet view.

Any suggestions on point 4 ? Please.

FYI: We have two access db(one front-end and one-backend). Backend db will just store the tables and the front-end has all the queries and forms. Front-end tables are linked tables to Back-end.

Thanks!
    New Access Developer

Quote Originally Posted by GUDERK View Post
    Hello Gurus,

We got a requirement to enhance the existing Access DB.
    1. Add new table (ABC).
    2. Create a form in datasheet view by pulling all the fields from new table (ABC) and 2 fields from existing table (123).
    3. If I create the form in datasheet view JUST by pulling all the fields from new table (ABC), then I am able to edit the fields and it is saving back to the table ABC.
    4. But, when I am trying to pull the fields from both the tables ABC and 123, then all the fields are becoming read-only. I cannot add data into any of the fields inside the datasheet view.

Any suggestions on point 4 ? Please.

FYI: We have two access db(one front-end and one-backend). Backend db will just store the tables and the front-end has all the queries and forms. Front-end tables are linked tables to Back-end.

Thanks!
    New Access Developer
    The problem is probably due to the join between the two tables is not creating an updatable query.

As you linking with a primary key field on one side of the join?

Also see:

Why is my query read-only?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Issue with dataentry in the datasheet

Thank you for your quick response! HiTechCoach. I tried couple of options from the link that you sent but no luck so far. I will play with the joins and see if it works.

Provided Answers: 19
    You know, Boyd, you really should attribute that article on "Why is my query Read-Only" to its author, Allen Browne.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007