Unanswered: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.....9i

Hi guys

Hoping to get some help here. I have a 9i db. The problems I'm currently facing is pretty much summed up in the Title.

Yesterday, the database server was moved to a new physical location and given a new IP address. Since then, after powering the server back up, when the loader runs as scheduled in the cron and tries to load data into the database, for some reason the external file created is '0' bytes although the file being loaded has data in it.

However, if I run the ETL loader manually, the ext file is not empty and data gets loaded into the db.

Everything was working fine before the servers were re-located but I can't relate the server activity with a '0' bytes ext file.

Any ideas?

Regards
    Shajju

Provided Answers: 1
    When you say, er, type:
    when the loader runs as scheduled in the cron and tries to load data into the database, for some reason the external file created is '0' bytes although the file being loaded has data in it
    Are you sure your checking the file in the correct directory, login to the OS and cd to the directory and run ls -otr and validate date on file is changing.

After logging into the OS, and you are sure your looking at the correct file in the correct directory, then something is going on in your file system and need to have a admin look into it, because the size and date should change whether you run the job manually or automated from a cron job.

Just off the top of my head, Sounds like something has changed with the cron job setup or system setup since you've moved to a new server, you can also direct the cron job to a log file so that if there are any errors when it runs it will log them to it, for example:
    Code:
    .profile; /prod/bin/loader_job.sh >>/prod/logs/loader_job.log 2>&1
    hth

Thanks for replying. The server has been moved to a new location. The server is the same.

login to the OS and cd to the directory and run ls -otr and validate date on file is changing

Why the date on a file placed in the dir would change?

However, the date on the dir is changing as new files are placed in the dir.

The cron is running a number of processes which ftp, convert and validate files and these are running fine. It's only when it comes to the loaders. When a Loader runs, the process stalls after deleting the existing ext file and never goes on to create a new one. It definitely sounds like it is unable to see the file but can't figure out why.

I've stopped the cron as files were just piling up in their respective folders without being loaded and then deleted. Currently, I'm manually running the loader like Loader.exe Loader.ini (enter) and have the same problem in that after the loader deletes the existing ext file, it stalls (no message that it's picked up the next file)

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >When a Loader runs, the process stalls after deleting the existing ext file and never goes on to create a new one.

All of which has NOTHING to do with Oracle & should be taken to more appropriate forum.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.