Unanswered: "Find Record" Combo Box Wizard Quirk

In my database design I’ve noticed confusing issue about Access 2007 combo box wizard. I’m trying to add a “Find Record Combo Box” to my forms.

Once the record is found, I expect the entire form to “update” or switch to this new “found” record.

To accomplish this, I use the combo box wizard.

The problem is my results are inconsistent.

If the wizard—during its setup--asks, “what I’d like to do with the results it finds” and gives me the option to save them for later, I know the combo box will only retrieve data for that one field. Say, the last name of my customers. And I’ll have to switch to the new customer manually.

In other words the combo box only finds the field “last name” but not the entire record.

Sometimes the wizard doesn’t ask this question. And when it doesn’t the result is a combo box that works the way I desire and expect.
    I’m confused about why this happens. It’s almost as if the wizard is deciding on its own what kind of Combo Box to design.

I’m assuming that there is some other attribute within the underlying table the form is based upon that is the true determinate of how the combo box works.

Quote Originally Posted by rlb2252 View Post
    In my database design I’ve noticed confusing issue about Access 2007 combo box wizard. I’m trying to add a “Find Record Combo Box” to my forms.

Once the record is found, I expect the entire form to “update” or switch to this new “found” record.

To accomplish this, I use the combo box wizard.

The problem is my results are inconsistent.

If the wizard—during its setup--asks, “what I’d like to do with the results it finds” and gives me the option to save them for later, I know the combo box will only retrieve data for that one field. Say, the last name of my customers. And I’ll have to switch to the new customer manually.

In other words the combo box only finds the field “last name” but not the entire record.

Sometimes the wizard doesn’t ask this question. And when it doesn’t the result is a combo box that works the way I desire and expect.
    I’m confused about why this happens. It’s almost as if the wizard is deciding on its own what kind of Combo Box to design.

I’m assuming that there is some other attribute within the underlying table the form is based upon that is the true determinate of how the combo box works.
    I think you might be not totally understanding thow the combo box wizard works.

When the wizard first starts, you are given three option for the type of combo box you want to create.

If you want to make a find a record combo box, you must select the third (bottom/last) option.

Quote Originally Posted by rlb2252 View Post
    What you are describing is NOT part of the "find a record" combo box wizard. You will not see this option if you select the correct option, the third one, on the very first screen.

You get what you described when you select a option that is for selecting data/data entry. It has nothing to do with switching/finding a record.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    When the wizard first starts, you are given three options for the type of combo box you want to create.

If you want to make a find a record combo box, you must select the third (bottom/last) option.
    Actually this is sometimes true, and I think this may be what's causing the OP's confusion.

The Wizard only gives you the third option if the form is bound to a Table or Query. And when it (the third option) is selected, that Table or Query is the only RowSource you are allowed to use for the Combobox. If the Form is not bound to a RecordSource, the third option is missing, so I suppose you could say that "the wizard is deciding on its own what kind of Combo Box to design."

And, of course, if you want the record displayed, you have to have Controls on the Form bound to the Fields in the Table/Query.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Actually this is sometimes true, and I think this may be what's causing the OP's confusion.

The Wizard only gives you the third option if the form is bound to a Table or Query. And when it (the third option) is selected, that Table or Query is the only RowSource you are allowed to use for the Combobox. If the Form is not bound to a RecordSource, the third option is missing, so I suppose you could say that "the wizard is deciding on its own what kind of Combo Box to design."

And, of course, if you want the record displayed, you have to have Controls on the Form bound to the Fields in the Table/Query.
    You are correct. Thanks fior jumping in and pointing that out.

I do use the combo box wizard, but I have rarely used the "find a record" option.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post

Thank you The Missinglinq.
    I was having the same problem here.
    thannks