Unanswered: Slow on the network

Hi All,

Each user has their own copy of my application on their own computer. These link into my tables database which is on the network.

We are finding that every now and then, the speed slows right down. Command buttons which open forms take 60 seconds to open. This can happen when only one person is within the application. As it is new, there is very little data in the tables.

Can this have anything to do with how I have designed the database of is it all down to our network?

Any ideas on what I can try as I have very little knowledge on networks?

Thanks
    Simon

It is impossible to know without more information however another thing to consider is that if the server upon which the tables database is on is thrashing its hard disks then there could be considerable IO latency.

I would look to work with your IT department to identify the source of the bottleneck - they will have expertise and tools you evidently don't have.

Provided Answers: 19
    I agree with pootle; with the intermittent nature of the problem, this really sounds like a network thing as opposed to an Access thing.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for this. My IT guys are saying that there is nothing wrong with the network as it only seems to be my database that occasionaly takes ages to open etc.

I was just wondering if there was anything that sprung to mind that I may have done wrong designing the database. I will try to narrow it down when it happens again and see if it is a particular form or table that causes the problem.

Well of course they say that!

Remember that it could be something isolated to the server (as I mentioned) that would not affect other network users.

I would put together a load of logging code in your front end. Have it log the start and end of all operations. I put this sort of thing in to the last few Access apps I built and the data is very useful. You know also then what is popular, what is seasonal and of course what needs tuning\ investigating. It's a lot of effort, and best implemented as you build the thing of course, but it will give data about timelines and operations that are causing the problem.