Question Unanswered: front and back ends to mysql? maybe?

first of all i would like to say how happy i am to have found this forum. its as good as finding a only half eroded warm m&m in your couch cushion. i have never posted on a forum before so this is my first post so please be gentle.

ok, here it goes... i am using ms access 2007 (windows 7 of course). i am not that new to Access having made several somewhat successfully DB. i am now taking that dreaded leap to get it out there for multiple satellite users to be able to access it. i run a business and have a home network set up. i even wrapped 50 gigs into a wampserve in hopes that i would find an easy solution there. i am very proficient in html and have a pretty good grasp of php. but i tend to fall somewhat inadequate when it comes to grasping the ins and outs of publishing a database. i have a web site and pay for a hosting that allows for 50 or so mysql databases. my hopes are to figure a way for myself and others to access the back end (tables) while maintaining all the hard work i put into my shiny front end UI. is there any way to maintain my access DB in all its glory AND put it on the Internets... without a programming degree?

i got a lot more questions to bug you all with ill stop there for now

thank you in advance

hope that makes sense...

don't need someone to walk me through it just point in a direction

Quote Originally Posted by intellectualjoke View Post
    first of all i would like to say how happy i am to have found this forum. its as good as finding a only half eroded warm m&m in your couch cushion. i have never posted on a forum before so this is my first post so please be gentle.

ok, here it goes... i am using ms access 2007 (windows 7 of course). i am not that new to Access having made several somewhat successfully DB. i am now taking that dreaded leap to get it out there for multiple satellite users to be able to access it. i run a business and have a home network set up. i even wrapped 50 gigs into a wampserve in hopes that i would find an easy solution there. i am very proficient in html and have a pretty good grasp of php. but i tend to fall somewhat inadequate when it comes to grasping the ins and outs of publishing a database. i have a web site and pay for a hosting that allows for 50 or so mysql databases. my hopes are to figure a way for myself and others to access the back end (tables) while maintaining all the hard work i put into my shiny front end UI. is there any way to maintain my access DB in all its glory AND put it on the Internets... without a programming degree?

i got a lot more questions to bug you all with ill stop there for now

thank you in advance
    You're welcome in advance!

TIP - Since you are new to posing in forums: edit your post. By adding replies, I assumed it was already being answered. I look for post with zero replies.

... is there any way to maintain my access DB in all its glory AND put it on the Internets... without a programming degree?
    With 2007, not even a programming degree will help. It is not possible to run Access 2007 forms or reports directly from a web browser.

Hopefully your database is split into a front end and back end. It is possible to use mySQL as the back end.

It is also possible to link to a mySQL database over the internet is everything is configured properly.

I prefer to use Thin Client technology to run Access applications remotely.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Also read my article here:

Remote access for an Access Application
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.

<confused>Am I not pointing you in a direction? One direction would be Thin Client. Which I use with 100's of remote users</confused>

Also look here:

MySQL Links

thanks for the tip. you say hopefully like it should be done as i was building. will it work if i split the finished product? ill check into linking, you lost me there. as well as the thin client. see i am a fresh sponge ready to soak in all your great advice...or an annoying nob that take up your time.

either way thank you my friend. do you have any material you would recommend reading? i had already Googled my way into figuring a split database/mysql was the best route. now i just need to get around to the hows. anyhow i am going back to Google world.

i had written that and pushed enter at the same time as you lol, at the time i hit enter there was only me talking to me on here

yeeeeaaah... that is annoying, seems that every time i hit refresh it posts "don't need someone to walk me through it just point in a direction "

thanks for the tip. you say hopefully like it should be done as i was building. will it work if i split the finished product? ill check into linking, you lost me there. as well as the thin client. see i am a fresh sponge ready to soak in all your great advice...or an annoying nob that take up your time.

either way thank you my friend. do you have any material you would recommend reading? i had already Googled my way into figuring a split database/mysql was the best route. now i just need to get around to the hows. anyhow i am going back to Google world.
    Before you start googleing, I would urge you to look at the links in my replies. I have already done some of the leg work for you.

oh yeah i am wrist deep into mysql links now

Web Based front end to replace the Access Application. Requires a Web Server.

lose my shiny UI??

Web Based front end to replace the Access Application. Requires a Web Server.

lose my shiny UI??
    You will have to recreate the UI as a web based application. I know that there is new technology to make it a lot easier using ASP.net on a Windows Web Server. I have not tried to do it in years because I have been switched to using Terminal Server (Thin Client) to run my Access Apps without any have to make any special modifications.

I have not tried it yet, but Access 2010 has made strides in that direction.
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 05-19-10 at 01:32.