Unanswered: MySQL brand newbie - replication help needed

But not to MS SQL. Anyway, I have setup replication, master to one slave. Seems very straight forward, per the documentation from the MySQL website. However, when checking the slave status, Slave_IO_Running is no and the Slave_IO_State says "connecting to master". I've redone the setup several times, step by step and cannot get this to change. Google yielded little as far as a workable resolution. Anyone have any insight as to what I may be missing? As always, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

can the slave server actually connect on 3306 to the master?

Quote Originally Posted by scottb View Post
    can the slave server actually connect on 3306 to the master?

It's trying. I did have a firewall issue but since that was tweaked (per a Google hit), I at least two threads in the process list (didn't before). The status is still "connecting to master". I cannot get it to say connected. I've one more thing to try, and if successful, I'll report the facts.

Resolved: I did not know MySQL was case sensitive!!! The replication user that I created had an uppercase "R" but when I set up the Slave, I entered all lower case. Modifying the cnf file didn't complain so I didn't think there was an issue. Boy, was I wrong. Replication now works as designed not as I thought.