Unanswered: Access database engine stopped

I have what appears to be a corupt database that when started comes up with the error "The Microsoft Access database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

I have copied the database to a diferent computer. I get the same error with compact and repair. Wont open in exclusive mode and wont open with the shift key held to keep it from running any code. All choices come up with same error.

Database is Access 03 version
    file is approx 3mb
    have tried in Access 03 and 07

I have searched the forum and tried the items I have found but know that I have probably missed something!

Does anyone know a way to clear this type of error?

Quote Originally Posted by careich View Post
    I have what appears to be a corupt database that when started comes up with the error "The Microsoft Access database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

I have copied the database to a diferent computer. I get the same error with compact and repair. Wont open in exclusive mode and wont open with the shift key held to keep it from running any code. All choices come up with same error.

Database is Access 03 version
    file is approx 3mb
    have tried in Access 03 and 07

I have searched the forum and tried the items I have found but know that I have probably missed something!

Does anyone know a way to clear this type of error?
    Make a Backup before you do anything.

Hopefully you have already split your database.

Are you getting this in the front end or back end database?

Have you tried the Jet Comp 4 utility from Microsoft?

Have you tried importing all the objects into a new blank database?

Did I mention that you should make a backup?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Well the good news is I do have a backup the bad news is the last known good copy is missing 5 days worth of data. So much for the daily IT backups!

The bad news is the Jet Com utility didn't work.

The databse wont let me connect to or import any data. Same Jet engine error.

Would love to recover the data if anyone knows another trick!!

Well the good news is I do have a backup the bad news is the last known good copy is missing 5 days worth of data. So much for the daily IT backups!

The bad news is the Jet Com utility didn't work.

The databse wont let me connect to or import any data. Same Jet engine error.

Would love to recover the data if anyone knows another trick!!
    Is your database split into a front end and back end?

Does each user have their own copy fo r the front end (not shared)?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

No this was a single database on the server. it was used for timekeeping by an eight person office. The person that set it up didn't think there was a reason to split it figuring the worst case was they would have it restored from the backup and have to put in 1 days worth of time.

You most likely need a Refresh command somewhere on the form (or a me.requery command.)

Typically these types of errors popup when there is another form open (usually in the same mdb) and the form is based on the same table which both are updateable. When you update one of the forms, MSAccess doesn't always recognize that it should update the 2nd form that's also open so you must tell it to Refresh the current form and then requery the 2nd form.

As a general rule, only have 1 form open that updates the same table at once. If you open 2 forms both based on the same table and update one of them, you'll most likely get this error unless you issue a refresh command to the form you're updating and then a Forms!MyOtherForm.requery command to the other form.

Just because the error says 'you and another user' doesn't necessarily mean it's another user. It can be the same user but the form isn't being refreshed/requeried on the other form open, again, based on the same table.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 05-25-10 at 01:20.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)