Unanswered: Db2 9.5 HADR failures on Linux Susie 10 on multi servers\VM ware

After countless time I was unabl to find the answer to my HADR questions and getting HADR to work in 9.5 via the Control Center. Please see my fix that seem strange but works.

My error was as follows. When setting up HADR via the CCenter at the last step in a full setup called "START HADR" it would fail with reason 7.

Now trying to solve the port issue that is listed gets you no where. In fact on my db2diag.log it listed a comm error. This is not even the issue! stupid db2. IBM support was NULL!

Let me give you a run down.
    1 make a backup of your database.
    2 take your back or clone and move it to your STANDBY server via SCP-"Make sure your database has no HADR settings at this point, but that your Linux Service file on both the Primary and Standby does have a port entry that you know for the wizard, where it asks for Alias and Port "
    3. Start CCenter
    4. Run through the entire Setup HADR wizard.
    5. Have a second copy of your Standby server open in say a FTP Putty Sessson. With your self logged into the instance as instance owner type "db2 activate database" right before it says "Start HADR" on your primary server tryig to connect to your STANDBY server via the CC wizard.
    ==========================================
    My biggest question following everything out there was this? How do you set your HADR settings on a database without making your clone or backup database Active. Of course if you make your database active, such as after a restore by rolling forward your logs, Stupid HADR says you cant activate HADR on an Active database. So just deactivate you may be thinking. Well I was also, but in my case this did nothing but waste time. A deactive database had no better luck than before.

Quote Originally Posted by nowexam1 View Post
    My biggest question following everything out there was this? How do you set your HADR settings on a database without making your clone or backup database Active. Of course if you make your database active, such as after a restore by rolling forward your logs, Stupid HADR says you cant activate HADR on an Active database. So just deactivate you may be thinking. Well I was also, but in my case this did nothing but waste time. A deactive database had no better luck than before.
    You cannot initiate an HADR pair without a backup (or snapshot) of the primary database that is restored to the standby server and left in rollforward pending state. The reason for this is that both the primary and standby database must be using the same log chain, which means they must come from the same backup or snapshot.

Then you update the db conifig using the following syntax to make the HADR standby settings specific to the standby (which are different than the primary HADR settings:

db2 update db cfg for <db-name> using PARM-NAME PARM-VALUE

Note that with the above syntax specifying the db name, you do not have to activate the database to run the above commands.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390