Unanswered: "Can't Modify Table Structure"

“You can’t modify the structure of the table “Orders” because it is already in use by another person or process.”

I’ve been trying to use this template for my database. I’m trying to change a field in the table Orders from a text field to a lookup field. The Orders table is actually bound to a Form’s field. But I’ve changed the name and label of the field on the form already.

What’s causing this message?

(By the way, the template is one I’ve gotten off of HighTechCoach’s sight—the OrdersEntry Template. Thanks, HiTech.)

Quote Originally Posted by rlb2252 View Post
    “You can’t modify the structure of the table “Orders” because it is already in use by another person or process.”
    Before making any table design changes, make sure to close all open forms, just to be safe.

I’ve been trying to use this template for my database. I’m trying to change a field in the table Orders from a text field to a lookup field.
    Before you make that change at the table level, see this:

The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables

I would say: Don't do it!
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Ok, if not from the table level, then what about from the form directly.

I'm familiar with adding a combo box to an existing form but less so in converting an existing field on a form into one.

Ok, if not from the table level, then what about from the form directly.

I'm familiar with adding a combo box to an existing form but less so in converting an existing field on a form into one.
    Try using the combo box wizard from the tool box.
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.

Can't Modify Table Structure

Check the Relationship settings. If the Orders Table is linked with other table(s) in the Relationship settings then delete them first. Modify the structure of the Table and then re-establish the relationships.
    www.MsAccessTips.com (Learn MS-Access Tips & Tricks)
    Learn Advanced MS-Access Programming with sample VBA Code.

All responses are based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by apr pillai View Post
    Check the Relationship settings. If the Orders Table is linked with other table(s) in the Relationship settings then delete them first. Modify the structure of the Table and then re-establish the relationships.

Do you really need to delete a relationship just to add a field?

The original issue was:
    [quote]
    [/quopte]
    This is normally caused becaused a form, report, query, etc. has the table in use.

Why not just close the object(s). Do you really need to delete the relationship aslo?

i know this is a almost 2 years old thread, but i've got the same error and didn't found a solution on internet, instead I found that the bug was in the office package. I've downloaded another kit and the problem was solved.

Quote Originally Posted by krayzee View Post
    i know this is a almost 2 years old thread, but i've got the same error and didn't found a solution on internet, instead I found that the bug was in the office package. I've downloaded another kit and the problem was solved.
    Where do you get the kit? I am having the same issue.
    Here is my post from another forum site

I am creating a field which requires a lookup.
    Using my school computers I have never come across this issue.
    I recently updated my home computer with access 2010.
    Upon creating a lookup I get to the part where it asks me to save the table.
    I save the table and than this message appears:
    "You can't modify the structure of table 'x', because it is already in use by another person or process."
    The only option being to click "Ok"
    That message is followed by:
    "Microsoft Access couldn't launch the Lookup Wizard, or this wizard has been disabled. Rerun the MS Access or the MS office setup program, click add/remove, and select the Wizards check box. To reenable this wizard, click the file tab, and then click access options. Click add-ins and then in the manage list, click disable items and then click Go."

I've followed the instructions carefully yet problem persists. I have made sure no other files are open and closed all tables, deleted relationships and everything else I could think of.

So yeh Ive looked but dont know where to find the kit youre talking about.