Red face Unanswered: Oracle 9i 32 bit ON Windows 2003 server 32 bit

Hi all

I have oracle 9i 32 bit istalled on HP server with windows 2003 server 32 bit, 8GB ram.
    I am trying to increase oracle memory size (SGA + PGA),
    but when I exceed 2GB for (SGA + PGA) it gives me error (ORA-27102 : out of memory)

Is it because the windows 32bit ?

How to manage this issue?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Is it because the windows 32bit ?
    yes

>How to manage this issue?
    Live with this limitation or upgrade to both 64-bit hardware, 64-bit OS, & 64-bit application (Oracle)
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Thanx alot

If you set the /3GB switch in the boot.ini, you can actually use up to 3GB for PGA and SGA on a 32-bit Windows system. the next 1GB would be used for the Windows kernel.

Any memory above 4GB can be used with *only* buffer cache if the /PAE switch is set in boot.ini and a few initialization parameters are set in Oracle and in the registry. From my experience though it's kind of tricky and there is overhead involved, like a 1GB window for mapping the extended addresses, slower memory access due to the mapping, etc.. I've never seen it as very stable either. Not really worth the hassle in my opinion and not really usable if you have a lot of user connections that require you to have a sizable PGA.

Personally, I would try an upgrade to 64-bit 10g or 11g and 64-bit Windows (2008), if you can't do that yet, at least set the /3GB switch to get an extra GB to work with until you can move to 64-bit.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com