Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Transactional Replication Error

Hi

SQL 2005 Dist & pub
    SQL 2005 push sub * 2

I am troubleshooting an "error" (although no error is reported) in transactional replication. There are two subscribers. The distributor and publisher are the one instance. At 8:50 a change was made and it was replicated. Since 9:15 no changes have replicated to one of the subscribers - the second though is fine. The only hint of an issue is in MSdistribution_history comment "The initial snapshot for publication 'repl_docs_pub' is not yet available."

I can't find anything in any other tables or event logs at the publisher\ distributer or the faulty subscriber.

The only other point of note is the faulty subscriber forcibly disconnected agents a couple of days ago following a GPO update.

What is my next troubleshooting step? Completely reinitialising the replication is an option but I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 10
    Is SQL Agent running?
    George
    Home | Blog

Oh yah.

There are no obvious errors. All jobs are running. No jobs have failed. No errors reported in any of the replication agent history tables. Even the message above is not flagged as an error.

I have same error

Last edited by MarCn; 06-01-10 at 10:35.

Apart from it showing the message in the first post replication monitor does not indicate anything out of the ordinary either.

I don't know yet if there is data returned from those sprocs that is not shown in the GUI tool.

Provided Answers: 6
    Not to thread jack, but the director of product development has been waving a project under my nose to replace replication with service broker like what MySpace allegedly did. We have our mothership replicated out 36 different places and we are trying to stay away from implementing MERGE replication for his current project. Replication has our whole department hamstrung. The DBAs wont let the developers touch it even though we have half a dozen former DBAs in development and their team experiences high turnover, so a lot of projects hit the DBA-replication wall.

I dunno how advisable this is. I told him I would look into it. I would think M$ would have published a case study on the MySpace project, but I can not find it. Thoughts?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Are the Distribution Agent and Log Reader Agent running?

I'm kind of stumped here - I don't have practical experience with replication
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 6
    @gvee: thanks. I am too stupid for google.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    You should have two separate distribution agents (one per subscriber). Are both of these set to run continuously?

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    You should have two separate distribution agents (one per subscriber). Are both of these set to run continuously?
    Yes - they are running now. There is an entry for the "dodgy" subscription in history monitor regarding the forcible disconnection on 25th May and that the agent was successfully restarted

Quote Originally Posted by gvee View Post
    Are the Distribution Agent and Log Reader Agent running?
    Two of the former, one of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by gvee View Post
    I'm kind of stumped here - I don't have practical experience with replication
    I was starting to get that impression

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    I was starting to get that impression
    Well if you don't want my help...

George
    Home | Blog

George - given your recent track record, you not having much "practical experience with replication" probably only puts you about a morning's study behind me.

Replication falls under the "DBA" umbrella that I'm still learning how to operate, so you have to forgive my ignorance on such topics. But cheers for the compliment though
    George
    Home | Blog