Unanswered: Sybase Installtion Error - Solaris 10

Hi..

I'm mahesh working as Sybase consultant from past 2 years..And it's my first try installing Sybase Developer Editon in my PC having OS "Unix Solaris 10"...

But I'm getting below error while installing the Sybase ASE 15 ..

I downloaded this from Sybase website..

$ ./setup.bin -i console
    Preparing to install...
    ./setup.bin: !: not found
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

./setup.bin: /tmp/install.dir.1193/Solaris/resource/jre/bin/java: cannot execute
    $ ./setup.bin
    Preparing to install...
    ./setup.bin: !: not found
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

./setup.bin: /tmp/install.dir.1297/Solaris/resource/jre/bin/java: cannot execute

Not sure where I went wrong..

I followed the below and start Installing in sybsase directory..

mkdir -p /opt/sybase
    mkdir -p /var/sybase
    groupadd sybase
    useradd -g sybase -d /opt/sybase sybase
    chown sybase:sybase /opt/sybase
    chown sybase:sybase /var/sybase

Also could some one help the installtion procedure for Sybase ASE 15 in Unix Solaris 10..

Thank you in advance...

- Mahesh

Provided Answers: 1
    I am not aware of an ASE 15 developer edition available for Solaris x86
    Are you perhaps trying to install ASE for Solaris sparc on Solaris x86?

Yep pdreyer its Solaris sparc on Solaris x86...Could you pls help on above issue

Provided Answers: 1
    The two are not compatible. The one uses big endian (sparc) and the other little endian (x86) architecture. You'll have to contact Sybase sales rep to buy a copy of Sybase for Solaris x86

Hi Mahesh,

I am having the same problem and need help too. I did a clean install of Solaris x64 on an Intel based box. /etc/Release shows it as x86 but isainfo confirms amd64, so it's 64-bit.

It does look like the binaries are not running but it is not a Sparc vs. x86 issue. I tried both 15.0.3 and 15.5 and neither work properly. Downloaded from:

http://download.sybase.com/eval/1503/ase1503_sun64.tgz
    http://download.sybase.com/eval/ase155/ase155_sun64.tgz

These are both listed as the "Sun Solaris x64" versions and _not_ Sparc.

I also installed the sun java 1.6.0_20 jdk packages for x64, and these seem to work correctly (64-bit), however ase15.5 setup.bin refuses to identify them and always unpacks its own JRE whose binaries do not run and seem to be incompatible with my Solaris 10 installation. Very frustrating.

By chance, I noticed that if I cd into the archives/ directory and then into a further subdirectory (it's organized by the components it installs), I can run setup.bin for the subcomponent and it does locate my installed java, does not unpack it's own JRE, and seems to successfully run. I don't know if it's just the java installation running successfully, and that perhaps it would ultimately proceed to 'successfully' install a bunch of binaries that then won't run...

I tried to contact Sybase about this, but not being a paying customer didn't get far, and also go some misleading info as to what was supported or not. In the end, a helpful senior manager confirmed that it should work on a Solaris x64 box and confirmed the download links, and that it is 32-bit x86 that is no longer supported. If I get some budget, I might try to open up a single ticket, but I don't want to spend money and have them tell me that it's my Solaris installation that is to blame and that I have to figure it out on my own.

I could use any help or information as to what's going on. Don't know if there's some incompatibility with the 64-bit Solaris 10 installation in that it is some 32-bit version with 64-bit extension, and on Sun branded hardware it would have installed with different libraries...

Again, just to confirm, it should not be a Sparc vs. x86-x64 issue unless Sybase mistakenly put the wrong binaries in the download for "Sun Solaris x64" which they told me they didn't.

Thanks for any help.

-Andreas