Unanswered: Locking Specific Records- ACCESS 2007

Hi,

We use our ACCESS database for data entry purposes, and since our database is split, meaning many users are constantly updating and adding new data, changing things, etc. I would like to be able to lock individual records once that record is 100% accurate and finalized so no one messes with it or deletes it by accident!

Is there a way to have a check box in the form or in the table that once checked "locks" the record so no one is able to delete or update it?

I am assuming it would be some code like:

Formname.Checkbox = true [locked] ?? I tried something this and of course it doesn't work! I am a beginner so bare with!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by JennyD View Post
    Hi,

We use our ACCESS database for data entry purposes, and since our database is split, meaning many users are constantly updating and adding new data, changing things, etc. I would like to be able to lock individual records once that record is 100% accurate and finalized so no one messes with it or deletes it by accident!

Is there a way to have a check box in the form or in the table that once checked "locks" the record so no one is able to delete or update it?

I am assuming it would be some code like:

Formname.Checkbox = true [locked] ?? I tried something this and of course it doesn't work! I am a beginner so bare with!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jenny
    Jenny,

Yes, it is possible.

I actually lock all records. The user has to use a Edit button to unlock the record to make changes.

This has to be handled at the form level.

In your case, I would use a data/time field that holds the date using Date(), or Date and time using Now(), if needed, to mark a record was finalized.

I like to use the date over a check box since it provided a lot more detail.

If you want a check box to show, then you can calculate it from the date field and not even show the date.

Me.CheckBoxCompleted = IsDate(Me.DateCompleted)

I usually use a command button to place Date() ot if needing time Now() into the field.

The trick is to use the Form's On Current Event to lock the record.

Example:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Current()

If Me.NewRecord or IsNull(Me.DateCompleted) Then

Me.AllowEdits = True

'' if there is a sub form(s) use the following 
            Me.SubFormName.Locked = False

Else

Me.AllowEdits = False
           '' if there is a sub form(s) use the following 
            Me.SubFormName.Locked = True

End If

End Sub

Hope this helps ...
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

That worked great! Thanks so much.

It won't allow for edits in the forms, however is is possible to take the "locking" one step further and prevent people from deleting the record and also prevent people from deleting or updating the record in the table view?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JennyD View Post
    That worked great! Thanks so much.

It won't allow for edits in the forms, however is is possible to take the "locking" one step further and prevent people from deleting the record and also prevent people from deleting or updating the record in the table view?

Thanks again!
    Exactly our issue as well. How do you prevent records from being deleted, while still allowing edits?

Provided Answers: 19
    Me.AllowEdits = True
    Me.AllowDeletions = False

As for doing things directly in a Table, if this is a split-app, what are the end-users doing even having direct access to the Back End?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Me.AllowEdits = True
    Me.AllowDeletions = False

As for doing things directly in a Table, if this is a split-app, what are the end-users doing even having direct access to the Back End?

Linq ;0)>
    Yes, it is a split database. The users do not have to access the "backend" directly to delete records, but can from the "frontend" which links to the tables in the backend.