Question Unanswered: Setting performance options

Hello everyone,
    we are trying to tune our database, therefore we are researching possible tunable parameters that would enhance performance. It strikes to me as weird that I do not seem to find a way to vary the following in SQL Server:
    1) Checkpoint interval:
    According to this entry (MySQL :: MySQL Backup and Recovery :: 3.3 InnoDB Checkpoints), MySQL uses fuzzy checkpointing, in the sense that it performs recovery in small batches. Still, shouldn't we be able to define how often this occurs? Logic dictates that there is no way this is a continuous process, there must be small recovery packages every some milliseconds or something.
    2) Fill factor:
    All I have found on the topic are these entries (MySQL :: MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual :: 19.2 The INFORMATION_SCHEMA TABLES Table and MySQL :: MySQL 3.23, 4.0, 4.1 Reference Manual :: Physical Structure of an Index). It seems that MySQL manages free space automatically and we cannot influence that. Is that so and why?
    3) Read-ahead:
    I found this entry (MySQL :: MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual :: 5.1.5 Server Status Variables) but it seems to me that "innodb_buffer_pool_read_ahead_seq" is only an informative indication of how many read-aheads MySQL decided to initiate and not a tunable parameter of the desirable amount of pages. Am I right? And, once again, if this is true, why is that?
    Thank you very much

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    What exactly are you trying to do? This makes me very curious about what you're up to here.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

We are trying to make a comparative study of the two systems while tuning them in a fair way. But this is proving to be quite hard since they do not seem to have many equivalent parameters. So I have to make sure that things are truly the way they seem to be according to my research so far. Not a dark agenda, no worries