Unanswered: A question on indexing...

I only ever really index primary keys or relational fields as I am always wary about indexing date and currency fields because of the sort property when indexing... it doesn't seem to effect sorts at all but I still dont do it through paranoia, (or not understanding it properly)

I am now wondering should I index 4 currency fields that use running sums dependant on the ID key.

People advise you should index dates, currency and or others that have relative links.

Should I index 7 out of 10 fields in table and would this effect a running sum dependant on the order of the key?

All relations required are there and rationalised.

Some say don't index certain fields unless your having speed issues or query problems?

Any advice appreciated...

macneil

Quote Originally Posted by Macneil View Post
    I only ever really index primary keys or relational fields as I am always wary about indexing date and currency fields because of the sort property when indexing... it doesn't seem to effect sorts at all but I still dont do it through paranoia, (or not understanding it properly)

I am now wondering should I index 4 currency fields that use running sums dependant on the ID key.

People advise you should index dates, currency and or others that have relative links.

Should I index 7 out of 10 fields in table and would this effect a running sum dependant on the order of the key?

All relations required are there and rationalised.

Some say don't index certain fields unless your having speed issues or query problems?

Any advice appreciated...

macneil

I have never index a currency data type field before.

I am not sure indexing a field that is summed will have any benefit.

Indexing a field that is used used to search on will help

Indexing a field that is used for grouping in a report will help.

I would say no. Only the ID field.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    I have never index a currency data type field before.

I am not sure indexing a field that is summed will have any benefit.

Indexing a field that is used used to search on will help

Indexing a field that is used for grouping in a report will help.

I would say no. Only the ID field.
    Hello again... thanks for the reply. It was the handover today and I left it as was with the regular index, pretty much as you said.

Any advice on working with people you don't like