Red face Unanswered: Counting Records on a Report at a Group Based Level

Hey guys,

I'm a little stuck on counting the grouped records on a report.

This is for an educational database.

I have a report which shows me all Students, grouped by their trainer and than grouped the students into their status type.

I would like to run a count on how many students with each status type, per Trainer, and have it displayed on the report.

I hope that makes sense to you guys.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far, couldn't have done this without your help.

Quote Originally Posted by yakkib View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a little stuck on counting the grouped records on a report.

This is for an educational database.

I have a report which shows me all Students, grouped by their trainer and than grouped the students into their status type.

I would like to run a count on how many students with each status type, per Trainer, and have it displayed on the report.

I hope that makes sense to you guys.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far, couldn't have done this without your help.
    See if this helps:

Count the Number of Groups on a Report
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Cheers HT Coach. I've seen this link before, unfortunately it was no help as I'm not trying to count groups but rather the reported records in each group. I just can't really get my head around a solution.

I'm thinking I might be going about this the wrong way, maybe i should be trying to count on the query instead. I don't know, but i'll keep trying to find a way.

Cheers yakkib .

I am still not 100% sure what you want.

If you want to get the total count for the number of students in the footer of the status type then use a text box with the control source set to:

=Count(*)

If in the footer for the trainer grouping you would like a summary ot the status types with a count of students for the trainer I would use a sub report. Create a query that is a totaling query that uses the parent report's record source.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    If in the footer for the trainer grouping you would like a summary ot the status types with a count of students for the trainer I would use a sub report. Create a query that is a totaling query that uses the parent report's record source.
    This is sounding like what I want! But i get lost about what you're saying. Sorry - I'm just very new to Access. Are you saying to create a new query which also goes into the report which will count the student status types for trainer?

If so, would you mind telling me a bit about how to construct this additional count query?

Thanks!

Edit: After a bit of playing around, I sucessfully fixed this problem!! I created a CrossTab Query (with the wizard) using the previous query i made as the record source. This crosstab query just counted the statuses of all students by Trainer. I then just made it into a sub report and then moved it onto the report with the Trainers List. Thanks Heaps HT Coach, you were a great help once again.
    Last edited by yakkib; 06-01-10 at 21:38. Reason: Solved