Unanswered: Rough Draft of my 1st Application

Here is my very rough Taxi/Messenger application design. Feedback sought.

When I enter trips on my TripControlForm, I need to save a permanent record of the addresses (or address keys) for those specific trips. I’m not sure where those keys should be stored—in the Address table or TripControlTable.

In my ClientInfo table I used a table level Lookup field with my address table as the source. This actually worked but: The address values—or keys to those values—are not actually stored anywhere. They’re transient. So If I query the client’s name for a trip on a certain day, address data shown will be whatever her address is at query time and not what it was on the day of her trip (if they’re in fact different).

Bear in mind that many of the fields will be either eliminated or switched to different tables in a later configuration.

This will all make more sense once you take a peek at this copy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rlb2252; 06-04-10 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by rlb2252 View Post
    In my ClientInfo table I used a table level Lookup field with my address table as the source.
    See: The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables

Quote Originally Posted by rlb2252 View Post
    Bear in mind that many of the fields will be either eliminated or switched to different tables in a later configuration.

<confused>
    It this will all change in a later configuration, what is the point of looking at your database now?

Why will the table configuration change so much?
    </confused>

I suggest you make all your tables changes to get your structure correct first before attempting to create any forms.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    See: The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables

<confused>
    It this will all change in a later configuration, what is the point of looking at your database now?

Why will the table configuration change so much?
    </confused>

I suggest you make all your tables changes to get your structure correct first before attempting to create any forms.
    HighTech, thanks for responding.

Perhaps I should have phrased it this way: "It is possible that you may determine that a few of the fields should be eliminated or moved to a different table."

In other words I don't know what the problem with my database is. I believe I have the basic structure right.

But some element of its design is preventing it from doing what I desire and expect it to do.

You may decide that my foreign key fields are setup wrong and should be moved or eliminated.

Or maybe it's just the wrong type of relationships.