Unanswered: Application Running Slow

Help! I have launched my application and now find that sometimes, there is a lag when someone clicks a command button to open a form or report. There is no pattern to which forms, tables or reports.

I have 12 users. I have tried the following:

Application (1 mdb file) on the server with all users logging into it.

Application split (2 mdb files, 1 forms and other tables) both on server with all users logging into forms database

Forms databse on the user's c: drive linking into the tables database on the server.

All the above have the slow lag problem. If I have the application and tables all on a c dirve, then it flys. This leads me to think there is a problem with our network. We have 2 servers and both have plenty of spare disk space. One does run SAGE as well.

My problem is that when I try to get some sense form our IT people, they point out that it is only my application which has this problem. We run an old databse and this does nto have the problem.

Any suggestions of what I can try?

Thanks
    Simon

the only correct install to consider is the FE on the local C: and the BE on a shared server.

avoid putting the BE on the server with Sage if Sage is platformed on sqlserver (just a maybe on this point) - put it on the other server - - and be sure to put it at the top of the root drive - - - definitely do not bury it into folders within folders

your cleanest time trial is opening a simple form, or even a table itself - - where there is no calculating/code/query performing upon open. It is always possible your design has so many subforms & complex look ups that it must crank thru a ton of data before opening - - - in which case you might want to tweak that design to minimize calculations/loading in the opening event and defer until needed later.....

as it could be the server, rather than the network; do a trial with the BE on a remote shared C: of a PC if possible. that could be of interest

modern network gear now has a QOS feature allowing one to prioritize applications (so that you are not competing for network bandwidth of people watching the comedy channel at youtube)...possibly your networking staff might cooperate on this point....

I have now moved the BE onto the server that DOES NOT have SAGE on it. Still testing but so far no problems and it is running fast. My theory now is that SAGE is so resource hungry, it is slowly us down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    I have now moved the BE onto the server that DOES NOT have SAGE on it. Still testing but so far no problems and it is running fast. My theory now is that SAGE is so resource hungry, it is slowly us down.
    As NTC has already pointed out, the front end on the local hard drive of the workstation will also help cut down on network traffic. With the front end local, only data has to come over the network.

It is also very important to NOT share a front end. You chances of data corruption and other issue go up significantly, if not guarantying that you will have issues.

I would suggest looking into this:

auto fe updater
    The Auto FE Updater is a drag and drop deployment on the server. No installation required. Just download, unzip the files and place on the server. The utility does not require any extra admin privileges to test or for the users to run the utility. The IT folks in your organization do not need to be involved in your decision to use the Auto FE Updater
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

OK 24 hours in and the speed is fine. All I have done is moved the BE off of the server which also hosts Sage and put it onto a different server.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    OK 24 hours in and the speed is fine. All I have done is moved the BE off of the server which also hosts Sage and put it onto a different server.
    That is good news!
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11