Unanswered: 2 applications on the same Oracle

Hi everybody

I would like, if it is possible to have some advices about the instances and the databases on Oracle 10g.

I would like to run on a server, only one server 2 applications using Oracle 10g as a database.

inst 1: will be the first instance of the database1
    inst 2: will be after the instance of the database2

So, after installing Oracle for the inst 1 with the database1, must we install also Oracle and after creating the inst 2 and the dataase2.

Thank you in advance

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    If both instances are going to be the same version, only a single copy of Oracle s/w is required.

Needless to say, if the 2 instances are to be different versions, then 2 different ORACLE_HOME are required
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

pikhcom,

correct me, if I'm wrong, but is it possible, you are using MS SQL Server terms ?
    Note, that most other DBs including Oracle use a different terminology (a constant source of misunderstanding, because the same words are used for different concepts):

- what you may know as "server" is known as "database" in most other systems
    - your "Master database", is called "SYS - schema"
    - a MS "database" is called "schema"
    - a MS "cluster" is called "hot standby"
    (what is called "cluster" by Oracle is not available in SQL Server)

As for "database" and "instance":

Very roughly spoken: everything residing on disk is called "database", the stuff in memory is the "instance".

I'm not a SQL Server expert myself, but let me try to translate:

"Can one Oracle database have more than one schema ?"

The answer is: Yes, Oracle 10gR2 supports up to 2,147,483,638 schemas.

Before trying to do anything serious, however, you should at least read the Concepts Guide
    "There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."
    -- H.L. Mencken

Dear all

At least, I found the way and the answer of what I want and it was on configuration tools and migration > Database configuration > .. and there you can create it.

Waiting for comment, thanks in advance

You are right that I can make mistakes in terminology and can confuse it.

But what is the best way on another case:

Two applications App1 and App2
    Oracle 10g:

with one database, one schema and two instances

or

with two databases, two instances and two schemas

??

Provided Answers: 4
    Two schemas in a single database.

Can you advise on how to do it??

Provided Answers: 4
    Create a database.

Then create two users (a "user" in Oracle terminology equals "schema") using the CREATE USER command. Grant certain privileges to those users (so that you'd be able to connect to the database, create tables, views, other objects, ...).

I think that, once you do that, you should create additional users for every application - possibly as many users as there are people who will be working on it. They should NOT have direct access to "original" schemas (the ones you created in a previous step), but you should grant privileges on every table, procedure, package, whatever they need to use. In order to simplify the process, use ROLES (you'd then grant privileges to a role, and then grant role to a user).

We run MANY applications that connect to a single database which contains many schemas. I don't think that you should use two databases for (only) two applications (although that's OK if you find a good reason to do that. You never said what kind of applications they are).