Unanswered: SQL Server 2008 - Can not start the service ...

Hello there,
    I am a complete newbie in MSSQL 2008. I have installed SQL server 2008 SP1. But here is the problem -

Whenever I tried to start up the "SQLServer" Process it gives me the following error -
    "Window cannot start the SQL server "SQLEXPRESS" on local computer. For more information review the System event log."
    So I opened system event log window and found that SQLserver process can not run due to the following problem -
    FCB::Open failed: Could not open file e:\sql10_main_t\sql\mkmastr\databases\objfre\i386\ model.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).
    FCB::Open failed: Could not open file e:\sql10_main_t\sql\mkmastr\databases\objfre\i386\ MSDBData.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).
    I can see that the service is searching for the core database to function properly. But I have installed my SQL database in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\". Why does it searching for the database files in "e:\" drive

It would really help if someone can give me some direction or hints where the error could be ... I have tried hard but still clueless

Sorry for my English, Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 11
    The Data files for a SQL Server instance can be installed to a separate path from the executable files. It generally better to not install your data files on the C:\ drive, where they will be fighting the paging file for disk access. If this is just a test instance, that is not so much of a big deal, though. Have you done a search of the machine to find where model.mdf is? Why does it look like there is a space right before the filename in your errors?

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    Why does it look like there is a space right before the filename in your errors?
    I think that is the forum software. Observez:
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890ABCDEFGHIJKLMN OPQRSTUVWXYZ

Provided Answers: 11
    W h a t a s i l l y f o r u m .

Hello MCrowley, thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    The Data files for a SQL Server instance can be installed to a separate path from the executable files. It generally better to not install your data files on the C:\ drive, where they will be fighting the paging file for disk access. If this is just a test instance, that is not so much of a big deal, though. Have you done a search of the machine to find where model.mdf is? Why does it look like there is a space right before the filename in your errors?
    I have installed MSSQL in default directory. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server". And the database it searching for is also in the "DATA" folder. But for some reason it is searching for the test database in wrong directory.

I am trying to check out the SQL 2008 database for my work. I am using sql 2005 for my work.

The space is introduced because I copy pasted the error message from the windows management console.

thank you again

Well I think SQL 2008 is too much complex. I am totally frustrated.

I have tried to install/ reinstall the server again and again.

Tried to start service with various accounts ( admin/ admins/ guest/ myown/ system )
    Tried to setup permission on the folder.

But no luck. !!!

I have downloaded mssql 2005 sp3 + management studio express and installed it.

But still I would like to use sql 2008 in win 7. If anyone knows what the real problem is, please give me some direction.

Thank you.

Few steps you need to perform...

1. verify databases location ( which is in the error - i.e. e:\sql10_main_t\sql\mkmastr\databases\objfre\i386 \), check databases are there or not.

2. If it’s not there, check where it is ?

3. If you find databases on your system, copy and paste it to the same location which is in the error. Make sure you are copying and pasting only SQL Server 2008 system databases, as now you have already installed SQL Server 2005 on your system.

4. If you don't find any system databases on you all drives, better to un-install and re-install SQL Server 2008 and while installation double check which drives and paths you are using for system and user databases.

Hope above suggestion would help you...
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.

Thanks for the reply,

I have reinstalled the SQL Server like 10 times ... I have tried out your suggestion but no luck.

It is like a weird problem ... really pissing me off ...

Thanks for your reply though ...

Do you even have an E: drive in your system? Start SQL from command line with -m switch, and see if you get any further.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov View Post
    Do you even have an E: drive in your system? Start SQL from command line with -m switch, and see if you get any further.
    Yes I do have an E Drive, I don't know how to start SQL (ie MSSQL) from command line. (MySQL and Oracle both have CLI interface).

Thanks for the reply.

I think I just go back to SQL 2005 SP3 ...

Thanks again.

net start mssql$sqlexpress /m
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."