Unanswered: Improve Database optimizations and skills

Hi all, I am looking for a way to optimize my Sql Server 2005 database more or improve my database skills. I have been working with Sql Server for about 1 1/2 years now, but I still feel like there is a lot I don't know.

I don't know if people want to just list general things I can work on, with the most important things first, and then from there I could list what I do and don't know. I feel like listing that stuff now would make for a long-winded list.

Personally, I am thinking indexing might be useful. Currently I just use DETA to analyze queries that are used a lot to build indexes. Not sure if that is good practice or not, but it's all I know at this point.

If people need me to be more specific, just let me know. I just know there is a lot you can do, from optimizating queries, to database design, to how the database is stored on harddrives. Thanks.

Provided Answers: 11
    I have been working with SQL Server for 12 years, and there is a lot I don't know, either.

If you want a better understanding of performance tuning, take a look at the query plans of the queries you are tuning. in short, you want to find and eliminate any large arrow, or table scan of a large table. Table scans on a lookup table with < 100 rows is not really worth looking into. Also mess around with Profiler, so you can identify which queries are the most interesting. Once you start with these, you may have some more detailed questions. The Index Tuning Advisors are nice, but it also helps to know why they are suggesting the fixes they are pointing out.