Unanswered: box characters in grid cell from mysql db, illegible

I'm getting data from a mysql table to a recordset to a datagrid in VB6.

the data is a multi-line text description field, of type text (multi-line), and it is always returning encoded text like (box characters) to my grid cell (where I need to see it), everything else is fine:

I tested sending it to a msgbox, and it returns this sample:
    "???????????????"
    ( a bunch of question marks)
    except larger length of course.
    The original data is text field in a mysql db, and getting encoded enroute to a recordset read into a datagrid. Any knowledge on why this is happening or solutions?

Another clue is that in a web page, it reads as asian characters, this is not the issue though, it reads as box characters in a vb datagrid, or MSHFlexgrid, and THATS WHERE I NEED TO READ IT IN ENGLISH, why is the grid cell showing it encoded improperly, while everything else reads english correctly (albeit, single line field data)
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Do you mean english or "latin character set"?

Sounds to me like you've pushing around unicode characters and trying to push them in to a grid that doesn't know how to display non-latin character sets.

Is that the case?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Yes english

Yes there is unicode english, shows as asian in a web page, but was originally an english paragraph, not so with single line elements, but in the multi-line mysql text cell, it comes to my grid as unicode.
    Since it's a desc from a databse, the desc may have html, or unicode formatting I'm now assuming.
    I wonder how to encode it for readability in the destination cell of my datagrid?
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    MSHFlexGrid does not support unicode. A popular alternative is MSHFLXGD:

INFO: Unicode Capabilities are not the Same for all Visual Basic Controls

Also, when researching this answer, it will behoove you recognize that English is merely a language that is capable of being represented by Latin character sets. Your issue has nothing to do with English vs. anything else. It has to do with Latin vs Unicode character sets. Keeping this in mind will dramatically improve the efficiency of your research.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Great, thanks

[QUOTE=Teddy;6465070]MSHFlexGrid does not support unicode. A popular alternative is MSHFLXGD:
    QUOTE]

Thanks, whats the full name of that control? It looks suspiciously similar to the Hiearchical flexgrid.

Any way to covert it before it goes to a recordset, or after it's pulled from a redcordset. I resaerch when I have extra time, but this thing has been delaying me half the week. db is not my specialty, but I think it will become one! lol