Question Unanswered: Dataware Housing

I want to build a datawarehouse what basic steps should i follow

1. shall i put trigger on all tables which need to be datasource for datawarehouse and everytime inser update or delete happens this trigger will store the data in seprate database which will contain same table names ....and later on i can use this all data in DW.............Is that how datawarehouse should be or how to create it...I know dataware house wil be build using SSAS but first step is to collect all data............. I am new to this pls Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for me the data warehouse im building using the integration service (visual studio business intelligence) so i jsut transfer the data (just the columns that i want not the whole table) from the online db to the DW database

for example ...if i have 1000 records in my live table....and someone updates 500 records ....at the end of day how will u use integration services to track what changes have been made how data was before and how data looks afterwards...i believe u need to have all the records available in DW what it looked like before what is current data.. and DW will contain all modified records so that u can analyse them

Provided Answers: 1
    I highly suggest that your first step to be doing some research on data warehousing.

Any book by Bill Inmon is a good start.
    Amazon.com: Building the Data Warehouse (3rd Edition) (9780471081302): W. H. Inmon: Books

Statements such as "shall i put trigger on all tables which need to be datasource for datawarehouse" and "I know dataware house wil be build using SSAS" and "for me the data warehouse im building using the integration service" demonstrate that you do not at this time have a clear concept of what your goal is.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I am a rookie and i dont have any knowledge on this...u judged it right....i will go through this book .....thanks , i really appreciate ..now i know where to start from...Thanks