Unanswered: Increase performance for bcp

Hi,

I am using bcp utility to extract data from database. I have extracted 14324590 rows from sybase database but it takes 17 minutes to download.

Could you please give suggest to how to increase performance for bcp out utility?

Thanks,
    Michael Holding.Y

Provided Answers: 4
    Try using bigger or smaller batch-sizes (more or less rows per io), the -b parameter.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Quote Originally Posted by Martijnvs View Post
    Try using bigger or smaller batch-sizes (more or less rows per io), the -b parameter.

I guess the OP is extracting data, so in that case -b has no relation as its only related to bcp in. The only thing I can think of using a higher packet size to see if it helps.

Example:

bcp pubs2..titles out table_out -A 2048

sets the packet size to 2048 bytes for this bcp session. packet_size must be between the values of the default network packet size and maximum network packet size configuration variables, and it must be a multiple of 512.

Use network packet sizes larger than the default to improve the performance of large bulk-copy operations.

In addition:
    Also try and drop index on the table you are trying to bcp out if you have any.

Thanks,
    Meet

Thanks,

i used -A 8192 parameter in bcp out. it gives better performance compare then previous bcp opeeration.

Without -A 8192 parameter : it takes 17 minutes for 1.5 cr records
    with -A 8192 parameter:it takes 8 minutes for 1.5 cr records.

Thanks for your help!

Also, do you really need to be extracting 15m rows from the database on a regular basis? I can understand this as a one off but it would be interesting to find out why you're doing this more regularly.