Unanswered: Complex Database HELP!!

Hello,

I currently have a huge excel spreadsheet. There are about 4500 entries.

Within this spreadsheet there is this data (not exact names, but same concepts)

[Cost Center],[Department],[Location],[Full Name],[Business Head],[Vendor Name], [Vendor Account Number],[Service Name],[Service User ID], [Service Abbreviation],[Service Name], [Code].[May-10],[April-10],[Ect.]

Now within these columns (for the months), each service has a "fee". The fee is divided by departments (ex. 3 departments= service/3), multiplied by tax,multiplied by exchange rate.

Heres a good example:

100*8.75%*cad_050910(Canadian exchange rate global value on another spreadsheet). The taxes vary by state, the exchange rates vary by country.

The main problem is that the person making the spreadsheet doesn't know when a new user is added or removed to the service (meaning you would divide by an extra or less). How would I make a database out of this massive data?

My idea is to have a table for service, location, tax,exchange rate, and cost allocation) so what your dividing the cost by.

Is there a way so that the dba can add or remove a user, which will change the cost allocation automatically? I know this is a long post and I'm sorry.

any help??

You will get a better response if you describe your problem more clearly. Frankly I'm afraid I have no idea what your post means and I've read it four times now.

What don't you understand?

Provided Answers: 59
    I suppose the question is
    are you ready to make the change from a spreadsheet mindset to a database mindset

in the db world you sue queries to manipulate the data (whether that be extracting or doing some calculations). because those queries are based on the current data, deleting or adding 'users' should be reflected automatically in any subsequent calculations

but to take advantage of that you have to design you database schema competently and then develop whatever queries you need to view the data in the form that you expect
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton