Thread: Runtime Blues

Unanswered: Runtime Blues

I created a .Accde file and am trying to run it on a pc that has runtime access 2007 installed.
    I have "Microsoft Office Access Developer Extensions COM Addin" installed and activated as an add-in on my developer pc.
    On my "runtime" pc I get "This database is in an unrecognized format". On this same machine .Accdb files do run.
    Do I care really? Is there an advantage of running .Accde? If so what am I doing wrong?

... and the answer is ... .Accde only run with full versions of Access 20xx. What you want is .accdr. These are created through an packaging/installing procedure that you initiate via the "Developer" item under the "office button", that appears when you have installed the "developer extension".

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Grajower View Post
    ... and the answer is ... .Accde only run with full versions of Access 20xx. What you want is .accdr. These are created through an packaging/installing procedure that you initiate via the "Developer" item under the "office button", that appears when you have installed the "developer extension".
    An .accdr is just a .accdd or .accde renamed.

If you need a . ACCDR, you can just rename your .ACCDE

Note:. any .ACCDR can be renamed. If you deploy a .ACCDB as a .ACCDR, anyone can rename the file and get into your source.

You can also rename a .accdb or .accde to .accdr. If you open the .accdr with the full version of Access 2007, it will cause full/retail Access to load in runtime mode. Thi is great for testing to see if you have doen properly, like error handling, to be able to run you database in runtime mode.
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 06-20-10 at 15:38. Reason: Added additional information
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11