Unanswered: Learning curve from SQL Server to Oracle?

Im looking for someone who knows both SQL Server and Oracle fairly well.

Ive been using SQL server for about 6 years, and while I'm still learning new things almost every day, I am *very* comfortable with it, and I guess would consider myself an advanced developer.

I see a few very interesting job openings, but they are looking for an Oracle developer. I havnt touched Oracle since university about 6 years ago, and I'm wondering how much of Oracle I already know, just by knowing SQL Server.

Ive spent the past 2 days reading up on Oracle and trying to get specifics on the major differences between it and SQL Server. I'd love it if someone here who is an expert in both, could maybe list the 5 most important topics I should look into. I dont want to lie and say I have 6 years Oracle experience, but I also dont want to shoot myself in the foot and say I am a complete beginner to Oracle, when I'm sure that 95% of the things Ive learned about SQL server carry over to other databases, especially Oracle.

Thanks for any advice!

Provided Answers: 54
    A lot depends on which version of Oracle. It is really hard to limit the list but in very general terms the things I'd warn you to watch carefully would be:

1) Indexing
    2) Cursor usage (SQL Server nearly ignores cursors, Oracle requires them to even execute a SELECT statement).
    3) Multi-user access (specifically locking and blocking).
    4) Oracle specific extensions like dual.
    5) API fatures/restrictions specific to your programming language.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 2
    Some other things that are really different in Oracle are:
    - logical and physical storage - see Tablespaces
    - security - see Privileges, Profiles
    - logging - see redo logs, archive logs
    - sequences
    - backup and restore
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

Provided Answers: 54
    Florin raises some very good points, but I was thinking from a developer's standpoint and those points seem to be issues that would confound the DBA.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.