Unanswered: DB2 Enterprise-version for Windows7 or Vista?

hi

i have an academic license and would like to know:
    is there a possibility to get the Enterprise version for Windows7 or
    Windows Vista?

i can only find free versions for Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

Tr.

Do you want the free version (DB2 Express-C) or the DB2 Enterprise Server Edition (ESE)?

You can get either one, but the ESE version is a "try and buy" version that expires in 90 days. I don't know anything about an academic license, but you might be able to install the try and buy, and then add the license with 'db2licm -a' command.

The DB2 Express-C version does not expire and is free to use for any purpose, but is missing a few features.

Accptable Windows desktop versions are:
    • XP Professional
    • Vista - Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
    • 7 - Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate

Express-C:
    IBM - Download DB2 Express-C - Free to develop, deploy, distribute

ESE Try and Buy:
    Trial download: DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Not sure if the try and buy comes with 9.7.0 or 9.7.2. If it does not come with 9.7.2 install, then you should definitely download and install FP 2 for 9.7 after you install 9.7 base code.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 06-22-10 at 01:38.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    Do you want the free version (DB2 Express-C) or the DB2 Enterprise Server Edition (ESE)?

You can get either one, but the ESE version is a "try and buy" version that expires in 90 days. I don't know anything about an academic license, but you might be able to install the try and buy, and then add the license with 'db2licm -a' command.

The DB2 Express-C version does not expire and is free to use for any purpose, but is missing a few features.

Accptable Windows desktop versions are:
    • XP Professional
    • Vista - Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
    • 7 - Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate

Express-C:
    IBM - Download DB2 Express-C - Free to develop, deploy, distribute

ESE Try and Buy:
    Trial download: DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Not sure if the try and buy comes with 9.7.0 or 9.7.2. If it does not come with 9.7.2 install, then you should definitely download and install FP 2 for 9.7 after you install 9.7 base code.
    Thanks for the explanation, but you can get access for several software tools, when you register for an academic license.

I need the Enterprise version, because DB2 Data Warehouse only works with the Enterprise installation. The Express-C-version is not sufficient for Data Warehouse.

I only find the windows XP-Enterprise version, but i need a Vista or 7 version. I don't want to install a VM.

Best regards

Tr.

First, you need to determine which version your license is for (I assume 9.5 or 9.7). Then make sure you download the correct code. Since you have a license, just download and install the DB2 Server product using the latest fixpack for the applicable release (fixpack images are full cumulative installs).
    IBM - DB2 Fix Packs by version for DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows

Then install the license file you have using db2licm -a

Are you wanting to use DPF (Data Partitioning Feature)? If so, I believe you need 64-bit Windows. It should run on the Vista or 7 versions I listed above. There is no special release for different Windows versions (other than 32 or 64 bit versions).

If you just want table partitioning (not DPF) then that should run on a 32 bit version of Windows.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390