Unanswered: Important Datawarehouse Criteria

In designing and building a datawarehouse database - what are the 3 main points or criteria.

In a reporting database I would have thought this to be disks for fast access and the network.
    Also to take into consideration for backup performance speeds and ETL

Can someone clarify please

Denormalized, less indexes and Transaction Recovery is not necessary as in databases transactions.

I don't believe you can summarise the "main" aspects of such a broad subject with just three points. I'd say that logical design and data integrity features ought to come at or near the top if the list.

With all respect to sudhirc212, as a general rule I would disagree with the first of his points and I would question the assumptions behind the latter two. Boyce-Codd / 5th Normal Form is typically the best model for a data warehouse and ought to be the starting assumption in my view. In a warehouse, indexes remain very important from a query optimisation point of view. Transaction recovery certainly can be important depending on how the warehouse gets updated and the frequency and volume of updates.
    Last edited by dportas; 06-22-10 at 15:34.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >what are the 3 main points or criteria.

1) data loads quickly

2) reports run quickly

3) reports are accurate
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Thanks for your comments. However what init parameters would govern the database to ensure data is loaded quickly and reports are run quickly? Another noticeable point from a DBA point of view is backups. Due to the size of any DW DB I would have thought the types of disks, which the data resides on would be an important factor in not only I/O performance but to also ensure any RMAN backup was performed to its optimum performance.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sudhirc212 View Post
    Denormalized, less indexes and Transaction Recovery is not necessary as in databases transactions.
    The incorrect assumption that data warehouses should be denormalized has been repeated so often now that it has attained an almost urban-folkloric aura of authenticity. We can thank Kimball for that, I suppose, but it really deserves its own page on snopes.com.

In my opinion, if you start with a denormalized schema then you do NOT have a data warehouse. You have, at best, a reporting database.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com