Thread: db2 backup file

Unanswered: db2 backup file

We have a server at my work that uses a db2 database. There's some data in there that I would like to be able to access and run reports against. However, I don't know anything about db2 and I would be hesitant to mess around with the work server.

Every day the db2 server makes a backup of the database, we copy this to tape and take it offsite. Is there any way I can take this db2 backup file and convert it so I can import it into a MySQL DB (which I'm more familiar with and already have reporting tools I can modify)?

The db2 version is 9.1. The filename of the backup is:
    DBNAME.0.DB2.NODE0000.CATN0000.20100613001501.001

Again, I know very little about db2, so I have no idea if these backup files are written in some kind of proprietary format, I'm just looking for a jumping off point.

As long as you know SQL you can use db2.
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryach View Post
    Is there any way I can take this db2 backup file and convert it so I can import it into a MySQL DB (which I'm more familiar with and already have reporting tools I can modify)?
    No, there isn't.

There is, however, a freely available version of DB2 that you can install on your own machine - DB2 Express-C. You will then be able to restore the work backup to it, provided it has been made on the same platform (e.g. Windows).