Unanswered: ssis with progress driver

To whom it may concern:

I have been looking at threads on how to resolve my issue. I don't have any luck with it. I have created a connection manger to my progress driver. I was able to test successfully with no problem. I am able to see the table and data from progress. I am trying to import information from progress to sql server and also going from sql server 2005 to progress as well. I am trying to focus on getting data from progress to sql for now. But when I tried to use data source view. I am able to see all the tables from progress. It gave me an error when I clicked on next. error 42000 merant odbc progress driver. progress syntax error (7587). I am currently using merant 3.60 32 bit progress sql92 v9.1c. Am I missing the latest progress driver or am I missing a service pack?

Thanks for your assistance.

Provided Answers: 54
    Accoding to the DataDirect Progress ODBC Driver web page, version 6.0 is the current ODBC driver for Progress. I'm inclined to guess that a driver upgrade would help quite a bit.

The driver is complaining about a Progress syntax error, so it seems to me that the issue is inside the ODBC driver and not originating from SSIS. Don't take that as gospel, but it is an educated guess that I'm reasonably comfortable making.

If you can quickly and easily upgrade your ODBC driver, that would be my strong recommendation. If the ODBC update isn't an option or it doesn't fix your problem, there are lots of other stones we can turn in an effort to help you resolve your problem.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat:

I don't think it is possible to update my odbc driver. I called data direct on it. Our progress driver is very old. They do not support it.

Thanks for the idea.
    kkmickey

Eh, not the first time I've applied brute force to solve problems with ancient software this week.

The first step to fixing the problem is to determine what is wrong. Check to see if the ODBC driver supports any kind of logging or tracing. I'm nearly certain that it does in the ODBC configuration (in the Windows Control Panel), but I don't remember the details. If that won't work, see if your Progress server will support tracing incomming connections. As a truly last resort, you can always fall back to IP tracing to see what Progress Query command is sent to the database server.

You might want to consider setting up a linked server from your SQL Server to your Progress Server. This is often a "last resort/saving grace" that allows you to sidestep some of the really hinky ODBC drivers and get things working.

Bear with us... You've got old softare and a vendor that won't support a very old product so you're in a bad place. We've been there, and can talk you through it if you're patient.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat:

Thank you. After two days of frustration, things are looking good for now.
    You remind me there is logging in odbc. That was very helpful. I could pinpoint where it breaks. I was using sql server as the destination in ssis. That did not work well. Once I change it to oledb destination. Things starts to fall in place.
    I really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,
    kkmickey

That's kind of how these things usually work. You find somebody that has travelled the road before, they point out a few landmarks that you knew were there but didn't think about while you were flummoxed... Once you get a handle on things and stop spinning your wheels, the going is rough but passable.

Been there, done that, got the blood stained t-shirt. Never pretty, but you survive and it makes you stronger for the experience. I'm glad I was able to help.

-PatP