Unanswered: find duplicates in table - different fields

I have a small parts database and i have an issue where my staff have incorrectly filled in the fields.

I need a quick way to find all items that are duplicated.

Example...

In my field "PartNumber" i have "Festo 12345" and in field "Description" i have cylinder
    I also have a diffent entryfor "Part Number" with "12345" and "Description" is "Cylinder Festo"

Is there a solution to highlight this errors?

depending on how big is the db and how long this problem has been going on - - the easiest is simply to manually look at the data and manually fix....

if it is big - - then one must make queries that will result in finding such records - - and since it sounds like the fields can be free form text entries - - there may be variations in spelling requiring creative use of wild cards and such as part of the query criteria; so make a query with the appropriate fields and put in *Festo* as the criteria of the suspect column/field - - that will return results for that....fix it....then redo your criteria to *1234* (or put in as the OR at the same time)....but you can't do multiple column criteria at the same time because that is an AND statement.....

Obviously you have a bad design that allowed this situation....your fields should be LookUp fields where they select an item from a list table and free form text is not allowed....

Provided Answers: 19
    I've seen projects like this before, and after huge amounts of blood, sweat and tears were expended, trying to find a code solution, they all had to resort to a software/hardware solution, which is to say flesh and bones, as NTC suggested!

If it were as simple as one field supposing to hold only digits and the other holding only alpha characters it might be doable, but from your description I'd say this isn't the case here! Sorry!

BTW, there are agencies who specialize in supplying data entry people for work just like this, if the project is big enough to warrant it.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Chimp8471 View Post
    I have a small parts duplicate file finder database and i have an issue where my staff have incorrectly filled in the fields.

I need a quick way to find all items that are duplicated.

Example...

In my field "PartNumber" i have "Festo 12345" and in field "Description" i have cylinder
    I also have a diffent entryfor "Part Number" with "12345" and "Description" is "Cylinder Festo"

Is there a solution to highlight this errors?
    I am in the same problem... Hope you we will find a solution here...

Provided Answers: 19
    If your situation is similar to that of Chimp8471, then I suspect that NTC has given the only viable solution; the data will have to be reviewed manually and the 'duplicate' records consolidated.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007