Unanswered: What application to use for an image database? Please!!!

I am a designer trying to create an image database for an office with 5 people, all wanting to access the images, probably totalling 1.5TB in size.

Can anyone recommend an application?

I would prefer something specifically designed for images that I can change the format (file extension) of the image and can convert an image into high resolution and low res options.

It can be stored locally or online but it would be better if it was easy to take from local hosting to online hosting.

Does such an application exist? Any suggestions for applications even if they cannot change the file type?

Any help much appreciated,

Tiki

Provided Answers: 54
    Microsoft Paint meets the criteria you've described so far. There are also a number of web based site/package/library/product/etc that will do what you've described too.

It would help if you were more specific about what you wanted the package to do for you (and your users).

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Microsoft Paint?

I need something incredibly easy to set up as I am a designer for print and have no experience in DB etc

I have to organise approximately 5 thousand images, some of them illustrator files, so that the other staff can find them by file type/colour/file size etc... and download them for printing or emailing.

Preferably, if when adding an image to the application, I can change it to: High Resolution, Low Resolution, Photoshop, Illustrator or whatever is relevant to that file - and all versions will be easy to find by others.

It could be hosted online or locally. Not sure what is better. It could be very large for online.

What else can I tell you? If there are lots or application can you suggest the one that's easiest to use and the cheapest please?

Thanks, T

Can anyone help with this?

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikidibou View Post
    Can anyone help with this?
    try photo management software - Google Search
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks, I have tried that but the problem is finding software/applications that will change an illustrator file into different versions like high res jpg, low res jpg etc...

Advice would be much appreciated! Or even if it doesn't exist and I can stop searching!

Thanks

There is a ton of software out there to do batch processing and organize your images.

Specifically, Adobe has software for managing everything from small operations like yours to their LiveCycle stuff that's probably pretty expensive. The big advantage of their stuff is that it should be able to work directly with their proprietary Illustrator format.

So if I were you, I'd at least call them and find out what they recommend. (I can't find anything on their damned website.) Then, whatever the product is called, type "productname sucks" or "I hate productname" into Google to find people who hate it and see what they think you should use.

Just make sure whatever you get will handle the file formats you're using natively, or your artists will kick it back.