Unanswered: Building one more SQL Server

Hi All,

I am new to the sql server. I installed the software and built one default server. On the same PC I want to build one more SQL Server. Can any of you pls let me know how to proceed further.

Thank you

Provided Answers: 54
    This probably isn't a good idea. What are you hoping to gain by doing this?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I am trying to learn replication and other features of SQL Server

Run the install again and select the options to install a new named instance...

When I run setup file, it's doing from scratch which I don't want.
    can any of you please let me know from where I can run the install file to build another server.

And also when I installed first I didn't get any user db's like adventure database or adventuredws. please let me know how to get this to be installed.

thank you

SQL 2005 doesnt have these user databases like adventureWorks etc.

Secondly Every instance (default or named) is an Fresh Install of SQL Server. You have to be careful to select different data directory than which you used for default instance.

Thanks for your quick response.
    I am trying to install SQL Server 2008.

To build the second server, you mean to say I have to run the same setup file by choosing different location for data and log file. Is my understanding correct?

Quote Originally Posted by vineelaregonda View Post
    Thanks for your quick response.
    I am trying to install SQL Server 2008.

To build the second server, you mean to say I have to run the same setup file by choosing different location for data and log file. Is my understanding correct?
    Absolutely. Each Instance is a fresh install and has seperate System files. Thats how you can have multiple SQL Server Instances on the Server under different Service Pack Levels or different versions.
    ie You can keep the default instance at SP2 and then upgrade the Named Instance to SP3.

Once again appriciate your response.

Can you also let me know how can I add get the user databases (like Adventure db etc)?

(I can create my own user database, but I am looking for an example user database which has number of tables containing data)

Running Setup to Install AdventureWorks Sample Databases and Samples

This Microsoft Article explains in detail. There are multiple ways you can do it.