Unanswered: Static Port vs Dynamic Port for Named Instances on SQL 2005 Cluster

Hello,
    I have 4 named instances on SQL 2005 Cluster. The Instances are set to use Dynamic Port but have been allocated a number. ie The Dynamic Port is not set to Zero.

however during the recent reboot of the Server, the Dynamic port numbers got changed causing Application connectivity issues. I had to change the Dynamic ports back to the Original Allocated Numbers and then restarted the SQL Server. After that everything was fine.

I have 2 questions :
    a) Why will the allocated Dynamic Port change as it was not being used by any other program ?

b) What do you use for Named Instances ? Dynamic Port or Static Port ?

thanks

1. The nature of Dynamic Port is ... to be dynamic between instance restarts, so you can't rely on them. In the case of SQL Cluster, just like its IP's, the ports to listen on must be static.
    2. For a server that is not sitting on your laptop, - static only.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

So if I have IP1, IP2 and IPALL, all three are recommended to be changed from Dynamic Port to Static or just IPALL ?

For a cluster, you need to assign ports to all "declared" IP addresses. Check this article to avoid even more frustration:
    Unable to correct invalid SQL Server Network Configuration on clustered SQL Server causes clustered SQL Server fail to start ?permanently? - SQL Protocols - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

thanks a lot.