Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    38

    Unanswered: Access 2007, Collapsing objects by default

    Hi,

    Is there a way to collapse all Objects in Access 2007 by default ?
    I have a database with many tables, queries, and forms, that makes an unsightly list everytime I open the database.
    I can manually collapse each object, but then they're all fully re-opened again each time I open the database.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathology View Post
    Hi,

    Is there a way to collapse all Objects in Access 2007 by default ?
    I have a database with many tables, queries, and forms, that makes an unsightly list everytime I open the database.
    I can manually collapse each object, but then they're all fully re-opened again each time I open the database.

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Are you referring to the Navigation Pane?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Are you referring to the Navigation Pane?
    Yes, on the left side where it groups the objects.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    601
    Interesting .... this is the first time I have seen this question.

    I have seen lots of post with the question on how to hide the Navigation Pane when a database opens because they have built their own menu/switchboard form.

    If you just want to hide it completely, then go to Access Options > Current Database > Uncheck Navigation Pane

    You can also toggle the view of the Navigation Pane with F11.

    Does this help?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Interesting .... this is the first time I have seen this question.

    I have seen lots of post with the question on how to hide the Navigation Pane when a database opens because they have built their own menu/switchboard form.

    If you just want to hide it completely, then go to Access Options > Current Database > Uncheck Navigation Pane

    You can also toggle the view of the Navigation Pane with F11.

    Does this help?
    No, but thanks anyways.
    There's many users using the database, and all of them need to see the Navigation Pane upon opeining. It's just there's many tables, queries, etc...
    and some users just need to see the tables, some the queries, some the reports.
    It would be nice, if by default, Access 2007 would open with the Navigation Pane open, BUT, have all the catagories collapsed, so the user could just expand the catagory they're going to work in.
    Anyone have an idea how to do this ?
    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathology View Post
    No, but thanks anyways.
    There's many users using the database, and all of them need to see the Navigation Pane upon opeining. It's just there's many tables, queries, etc...
    and some users just need to see the tables, some the queries, some the reports.
    It would be nice, if by default, Access 2007 would open with the Navigation Pane open, BUT, have all the catagories collapsed, so the user could just expand the catagory they're going to work in.
    Anyone have an idea how to do this ?
    Thanks.
    OK. Since this is a multi user database, your database is properly configured for sharing by Splitting your Access database into application and data

    Since this means each user has there own copy of the front end, then each user could create a custom group with only the objects they regularly use. The downside it that when a new front end is copied, then custom group will probably be lost.

    A possible solution would be to use a custom database form (there are free ones available) that is modified to only show the object for a specific user. The list would be stored in a table in the back end. This way when a new front end is deployed, the user will not lose their list.

    If each user is making custom queries, reports, etc., then I give each their own custom front end that is not replaced withthe standard (shared) front end.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •