Thread: report question

Talking Unanswered: report question

I have a report that uses a form for the user to put in the parameters, usually the name of a manager and it will print out any activity for them in the date range that they select.

If they select a manager with no data, however, it will print out a report that says #ERROR#.. where the data should be.

Is there a way so that NO REPORT will be printed if the user selects a Manager that has no data to print?

Provided Answers: 6
    In the report's No Data event,

Cancel = True

will stop the report from opening. Note that you will need to trap for error 2501 in the code that opens the report.
    Paul

Thank you! That was simple.

How do you trap for the error? You mean if that error comes up, then go back to the input form so they can enter in another manager?

new to vba is why I am asking.

Provided Answers: 6
    Here's a primer:

Error trapping
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    theres two ways of inhibiting that
    one is to do it at the form that requests the parameters, until you have data that will lead to a successful report you don't allow the report to be called. you find if you have data by running the same SQL as the rport and seeing if any records are returned.

the other is to trap it in the reports nodata event as Pbaldy says. the no data event is probably best, and best of all the hard works been doen for you by Microsoft.

you could put a msg box telling the user they are a twonk for selecting a parameter which generates no data then close the report

to set the code view the report in design mode
    select view code
    you should see the code window appear, with two combo boxes. in the left combo select report in place of (General)
    in the right hand combo select NoData in place of Activate

type
    Cancel = true in between the private sub Report_Open.....
    and End Sub

then I'd strongly recommend you learn about the Access event model as it will come in handy over the life of this project and as long as you develop with Access
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thumbs up

Well done! Excellent information, I appreciate it. I added a msgbox to let them know they selected a report with no data. It works great. I received no error messages but I am learning more about the error trapping.

THANKS!