Unanswered: DB2 Version migration

What is the reason why IBM recommends to take an offline backup and not an online backup when we do version migrations like from V9.1 - V9.5 or V9.5 - V9.7.

Last edited by dbzTHEdinosaur; 06-30-10 at 13:33. Reason: add additional comment
    Dick Brenholtz, Ami in Deutschland

Restoring an online backup requires rolling forward the logs. Log formats can change from one release to the next.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I don't think that correctly answers my question.

Here is my scenario. I am upgrading a database from 9.5 to 9.7 [AIX] . To take a back up of the database, it takes 2 hours. Incase I need to take an offline backup before the upgrade, the outage time increases. The reason why I am thinking of online backup is to skip the extra 2 hour outage window.

Whatever backup we take, if wee need to backout our changes, we need to recreate an instance under db2 V9.5 and restore the database. For this restore, either online or offline backup should work.

I know that we cannot rollfoward 9.5 log files on to 9.7 database but at the same time, we cannot restore 9.5 backup on to 9.7 instance - so what is the point in taking offline backup ?

Andy, do you mean, we can restore 9.5 database backup on to 9.7 instance?

Provided Answers: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer789 View Post
    Andy, do you mean, we can restore 9.5 database backup on to 9.7 instance?
    Yes you can. As long as it is an offline backup.

Andy

Okay. I have an offline backup which was taken a day before. Probably I can take an incremental offline backup te reduce the outage window.