Thread: Date Sort issue

Cool Unanswered: Date Sort issue

I set up a date sort in FM-8. When I sort by date, it does a great job, but the most recent record is always from 2007. I've tried deleting the errant record, but it just replaces it with another 2007 record. Any ideas?? Please email me at Alaska6Stringer@yahoo.com. Thanks, so much!!!

FileMaker is quite forgiving about input data and will let you put non-properly formatting data in a date field unless you define it to strictly be a date (same thing happens with number fields). What happens is someone is putting in information that has a character or space or something that makes it an invalid date and it sorts all the dates first and most recent record is usually the date that is not properly formatted. I always define my dates strictly date formats to avoid such issues. By the way, 8 isn't supported anymore and I think your ability to upgrade from it ends this Fall, so you might consider upgrading soon.

Re: Date sort

Thank you, Taylor.
    I'll go back and re-examine the date entries...and thanks for the heads-up about expiry. UGH! As a non-profit, it's tough keeping up with software!

~Kimberlee