Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking E. F. Codd? Sorry, no relation.

I have been studying, using, designing, developing, implementing, maintaining and retiring relational databases for 30 years. Relational technology is a compromise between a single table flat database and a two table associational database. I have also studied the math. It turns out that linear algebra upon which the whole relational shooting match is based doesn't even meet the criteria to be called an algebra. In tensor analysis any serious mathematician doesn't use matrices because they are useless after a small dimensional threshold. Actuarial tables? Use the damned equation, bonehead.

Let's put it this way. You can denormalize until you have a single table that comprises the entire database subject (columns), verb (rows) and object (intersections), then normalize until you have two tables a three column logical subject-verb-object table describing the column index (subject), the row index (verb) and the intersection index (object) and a three column physical subject-verb-object table describing the single subject-verb-object index (subject), data type (verb), data value (object). All rows are unique and the only operation is Insert to permit unlimited rollback and audit.

Or you can you can have the intermediate mess of tables we call a relational database. Relations are actually views of the single subject-verb-object denormalization above.

I no longer give a damn what any relational technologist or technician says. The only reason relational databases exist is because the hard disks were too damned small and E. F. Codd and Chris Date were too enamored with their own mental masturbation to fully denormalize and normalize their damned structure. DB2, Oracle, MySQL and the rest are a bunch of frauds and they don't know it or they won't admit it.

Time to throw out a 40 year old piece of IBM crap.

Sentences ADBMS : [Link Remove By Admin]

Thingamy Associational Application : [Link Remove By Admin]

And I am now working on a product of my own.
    Last edited by blindman; 07-08-10 at 14:18. Reason: Shameless trolling and self promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by certus View Post
    I no longer give a damn what any relational technologist or technician says.
    i'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual

what prompted your re-appearance on this forum?

it was so quiet without you for so long

E. F. Codd and Chris Date were too enamored with their own mental masturbation ...
    hyperbole does you no good, especially when it's rude & crude

you want to be taken seriously? act seriously, not like a petulant four-year-old

and i say that with all due respect for your database experience

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

He must have broken his other soapbox.

If he is just back to troll and promote his own links, rather than contribute to the forum, I'll ban his links and dump him.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

um, blindman, i don't think those links went to his site, rather, they went to some other "post-relational" databases

e.g. Lazysoft Technology: Associative Model

oh well, they're gone now
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

um, I really didn't care where they were going. He's just trolling.

blindman

Ironically(?), the only link that remains is the one in the sig line to his personal blog.

I would have thought database theory would be small fry after certus formulated the unified theory of physics in his last series of posts.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

And I am now working on a product of my own.
    That should be fun to watch. Based on past performance I'd expect the product to change weekly in its design, philosophy and purpose. It will probably disdain to manage mere data, prefering instead to manage the entire universe via a series of baffling but reassuringly colourful icons. Can't wait!

Based on what I've seen from Certus in the past, I'd expect his product to be nothing but documentation, with half the words made up.

blindman

That's right. When reading the alliterative insult to Codd and Date in the first post, my immediate thought was of pots and kettles...

Dada Documentation???

-PatP
    Last edited by Pat Phelan; 07-13-10 at 13:24.
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

wow...and I thought M$SQL section of dbforums was fun!
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Ha! You were not around for this, one of the most infamous of dbforums threads:
    http://www.dbforums.com/database-con...hitecture.html

Read the whole thing when you have a spare half hour, but make sure you sitting over soft carpet for when you fall out of your chair.

blindman

Man, it almost got me fired! Forget about the carpet, I couldn't stop laughing even when the boss came over to check on some status (forget the status, I couldn't keep a straight face!). I think I said something like "Sir, I was laughing at a database design...Yeah". I think he suspects me having a mental breakdown, because he offered for me to take the rest of the day off...Maaaaaaaaan, this is something, especially when you all were discussing the potential market for polygons, and decided that platonic solids would pay the highest price
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

All that I can say is that Blindman did try to warn you, although I'll admit that he probably should have used stronger terms.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.