Unanswered: 32-bit ODBC Driver in 64-bit Windows Server 2008 Install

I'm struggling to get the 32-bit Oracle 10.2.0.1 client (mainly the ODBC portion) working in a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 install. We have Business Objects EDGE, which is a 32-bit product and relies on the 32-bit ODBC drivers. We also have Microsoft Office 2003 (32-bit, of course), and I'm using Excel to try to test this out.

My first step is to install the Oracle client, including the Windows components and SQL*Plus. The install goes fine, and I'm able to go through the wizard and set up the connections to my database server.

After the client install, my first step is to run SQL*Plus from the start menu and verify that I can connect correctly. This works fine - I enter the service name plus a username and password and am able to connect.

Next, I go to the 32-bit ODBC Driver tool and set up a System DNS. I use the Oracle ODBC driver from the install that I just did, put in all of the parameters, select the service name, and hit Test Connection. The test succeeds perfectly fine - no issues there.

I start running into problems when I try to access ODBC data from Microsoft Excel. I run Excel, go to the Data -> Import External Data -> New Database Query and select my System DSN. At this point I get the error "Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed." Upon looking up this error, the suggestions are to make sure that environment variables are set correctly, which they are. I also have no other Oracle clients installed, so I do not believe this to be a collision between different Oracle versions.

So, I try another tactic - in Excel, I do the New Database Query, but instead of selecting the system DSN, I select New Data Source at the top and click OK. I give it a name, select the Oracle driver, and click Connect, and I get the same error as above.

All of these tests are on Remote Desktop/Terminal Services connections, so I decide to eliminate that and, instead, go directly to the console and log in. Same error as above, so I try a different user account.

Under the new user account, I no longer get the error above in Excel, I finally get a login prompt. I enter the login information, and, this time, I get "ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve..." I double-check the TNS configuration, including going back to the 32-bit ODBC Control Panel to verify that the connection works, and, indeed, everything works fine in there - just not in any of the applications.

So, any suggestions? Has anyone else successfully used 32-bit Oracle drivers on a 64-bit Windows O/S? I suspect that I'm running into some disconnect between the 32-bit drivers and some function of Windows that's actually looking for a 64-bit driver or 64-bit binary, but I have no idea what that is. It also could be something with Microsoft's "improved" security features in Vista/7/2008 - maybe there are some permissions I need to check?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Nick

Any Chance you found a solution to this??

I am having the exact same issue (however not through Excel but ODBC none the less). I know it has been some time since your issue but PLEASE if you have a solution, could you let me know?

Quote Originally Posted by randomguywvu View Post
    I am having the exact same issue (however not through Excel but ODBC none the less). I know it has been some time since your issue but PLEASE if you have a solution, could you let me know?
    Sorry - I don't think we ever found a solution. We ended up purchasing and installing Server 2008 Enterprise Edition 32-bit, instead, which gave us the memory capacity we needed (more than 4GB) but kept a 32-bit O/S.

-Nick

I know it has been some time since your issue but PLEASE if you have a solution, could you let me know
    http://www.ywseo.net/seo4.jpghttp://www.ywseo.net/seo3.jpg
    http://www.ywseo.net/signature.jpghttp://www.ywseo.net/guilai2.jpg