Thread: BFILE questions

Unanswered: BFILE questions

We're trying to figure out if some code that we developed awhile back for helping us store BLOB's, lacks features found in the BFILE datatype.

The code that we've built, stores the LAN location where the file is located, which then gives us the ability to remove, overwrite, or open that file.

What does the BFILE datatype give me that this does not? I feel like I'm missing something ...

Provided Answers: 1
    Check out these links and see if they help:
    Binary Large Objects in Oracle8i*
    Oracle External LOB BFILE Data types

Yep, those sound pretty much in step with what I've read so far. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I did think that perhaps the BFILE process would copy/move the file to another location during the insert process... to a location where the user initiating the insert couldn't get to. I just don't like the idea of leaving the original file where the user inserting it can get to it, and potentially remove it outside of the application. We have some code which will move BLOBs from one directory to another ... and so we get back into whether we've already built the functionality of a BFILE with a couple of extra features