Unanswered: log_archive_dest_2 changes when creating spfile from pfile

Hi all,

I'm setting up a data guard with Oracle 10g R2 on windows 2003 Server.
    On primary pfile site I have:

*.log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=ORCL10g_stdby LGWR SYNC AFFIRM VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=ORCL10g_STDBY'

When I create spfile from pfile it works fine.
    But when I shout down the instance or after a whie (not sure) when I check spfile I see that parameter is change to:

service="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROT OCOL=tcp)(HOST=ORACLE2)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA= (SERVICE_NAME=ORCL10g_STDBY_XPT)(INSTANCE_NAME=orc l10g)(SERVER=dedicated)))", ARCH SYNC OAFFIRM delay=0 OPTIONAL max_failure=0 max_connections=1 reopen=300 db_uniqu
    e_name="ORCL10g_STDBY" register net_timeout=180 valid_for=(online_logfile,primary_role)

It seems that Service name is replaced by the connection description in TNSnames.
    Why does it change ?
    I think that's the reason why redo log is not being applied on standby database.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    How are you setting up Data Guard? Manually, or via the Grid Control GUI?

Not sure why the remote archivelog changes, but syntax-wise it looks OK.

If re-do logs are not being applied have you enabled SQLApply? (ALTER DATABASE START LOGICAL STANDBY APPLY)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Have you rebuilt your spfile after modifying your pfile?
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Hi cis_groupie,

Yes I am.
    I'm setting up data guard with a Physical standby and applying redologs, manually.

beilstwh: I've rebuilt the spfile after having modified the pfile.
    The problrem is thta after a while spfile is changed while pfile remains unmodified.

Thanks a lot

spfile is dynamic, pfile is only maintained by the dba.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm setting up data guard with a Physical standby
    Sorry - I thought you were setting up a Logical Standby - Physical standbys use Redo Apply, not SQL Apply.

Has the Real Time Apply feature has been enabled?
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.